• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auxillary reverse lights wiring help

akxj01

NAXJA Forum User
I believe I have the answer to my question, although I just want to double check.
I am going to use the stock reverse light wire to trip the relay, and want to get the power for the auxillary lights ((2) 50 watt ) from my trailer hitch wire harness. If I splice into the hitch reverse lights wire, will I be drawing too many amps when I have a trailer in tow and using the trailer reverse lights in addition to the auxillary reverse lights? Do i locate the hitch harness reverse lights wire by putting the Jeep in reverse with the E brake on and then using a multimeter to find whatever wire in the harness is giving me 12V? Thanks.

I believe I have the answer to my question, although I just want to double check.
I am going to use the stock reverse light wire to trip the relay, and want to get the power for the auxillary lights ((2) 50 watt ) from my trailer hitch wire harness. If I splice into the hitch reverse lights wire, will I be drawing too many amps when I have a trailer in tow and using the trailer reverse lights in addition to the auxillary reverse lights? Do i locate the hitch harness reverse lights wire by putting the Jeep in reverse with the E brake on and then using a multimeter to find whatever wire in the harness is giving me 12V? Thanks.
please disregard my original post, i was not thinking right.

If you've got a 7-pin plug the center conductor is for backup lights.

http://www.accessconnect.com/trailer_wiring_diagram.htm

If you are powering your auxiliary backup lights from your trailer backup light connection you won't need the relay.
It depends on where it is wired and if he wants an independent switch. If he just wants to have them come on when the car is put in reverse then yeah tap into the trailer line, but if he wants the ability to turn the aux backup lights on at any time in any gear, then he needs a constant power source and a relay.

Back