• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

34x9.5x15 tsl "pizza cutter" rim size

spikyhair87

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a set of 34x9.5x15 tsl for my xj some time ago and now just got to putting them on.. well lets just say that i need to switch from the alm. rims they came with...

Currently I only have my old set of 33x12.5xR15 bfg mud terrains on 15x10 rims.... i know that wont work... so i call up a buddy and he has a set of 15x8's steelies.. and i was wondering if these would work... yes I know interco says to use 15x7's....

I know these tires have issues with coming off the bead at low pressure but im not planning on airing down as i mostly wheel at the cliffs (mud/water)

SO IN SHORT WITH A 15X8 work with my 34x9.5x15 tires?

Thanks in advance...

If you dont air down you should be ok, I would go with some 15x6 or 7 though.

ok cool... i dont wheel much and although my xj has plates etc.. i dont drive it much... but i want to make sure im not going to lose a tire at 55mph or something...

anymore input would be great!!

Thanks...

i ran those on my old toyota, used a 15x7 and they stayed on bead, pretty squirrely going down the road though, the sidewalls really like to roll over. but i liked them alot more than the 35x13.5 baja radials i have now. if you wanted to get fancy get beadlocks.

ya i have heard to use them with 15x7's but i have a special friend discount (aka trading some spares for his set of 15x8 steelies in near perfect cond. :D)

the alm. ones definatly wont work... sort of put them on the other night after checking each tire multiple times went for a short 2 mile ride at various speeds 0-55 or so... and then at about 50mph i hear a clunk and then a bang then my "new" tire front left rolls out infront of me and then a split second later my jeep comes crashing down.... i screach to a haul... take a breath... get my tire back (300 ft away)... anways all of the lug nuts loosened up... idk...

so now i have new studs ready to go... new rotor ready to go... and all new lug nuts and plan on switching to steelies soon....

Thanks for the input please some more input would be great!

narrow tire less weight, less breakage, theory. i ran them on my toy because they weigh less and the old 22r with 180k on the clock isnt peppy. they look kinda funny but id eat my buddys s10 on 33x14.5 boggers. stock gold ones would look sweet

I ran the 9.5s for a few years, loved how well they worked. Ran them on a 8" rim and blew beads all the time at 20psi, tried them at 25psi and they sucked. I even tried tire glue, it helped but still blew beads. Run a 6" rim, a lot of guys that run the 9.5s will 'build' rims to give the right offset and back spacing, but you NEED to know what your doing when you build a rim and NEVER!!! drive it on the street with 'built' rims...

I scored a set of 10.5 LTBs and mounted them on some custom DIY4X.com 8" beadlock rims, I will never go back. Skinny is the way to go on XJs...andy miobi.org

I ran the 9.5s for a few years, loved how well they worked. Ran them on a 8" rim and blew beads all the time at 20psi, tried them at 25psi and they sucked. I even tried tire glue, it helped but still blew beads. Run a 6" rim, a lot of guys that run the 9.5s will 'build' rims to give the right offset and back spacing, but you NEED to know what your doing when you build a rim and NEVER!!! drive it on the street with 'built' rims...

I scored a set of 10.5 LTBs and mounted them on some custom DIY4X.com 8" beadlock rims, I will never go back. Skinny is the way to go on XJs...andy miobi.org

What do u mean "they sucked" at 25 psi u mean for wheeling? what type of wheeling?

cant believe there are so many fans of these "pizza cutters" most of the people i wheel with are the wider is better type of people.. but i couldnt pass up four of them for 250...

my plan is to run them at 35-40 psi on the street... and maybe 30-35 offroad... (basically leave them at 35 psi...) on the 15x8's... any issues at that psi? on or off road?

Thanks!!

I felt at higher psi(above 20) they dug more then gripped, and lost traction. When I was running them at 12-15psi they flexed and gripped everything and let me do things I should not have(not as much as I can do now with the 34LTBs and beadlocks). I was happy with the 9.5s, and would have made 6" rims if I had not scored the LTBs and beadlocks.

I still recommend at least a 7" rim, with how tall the side walls are you have a lot of flex that will push the bead off, get dirt gamed in the bead(this more then anything caused beads to blow on mine with 8" rims). And you don't need more then 30-32psi tops for street driving...andy

edit:: We have a lot of tight woods, mud, shell cracks, ruts, and rocks at MIOBI Land(its an old strip coal mine in southern Iowa) Most of us in the 'know' know that skinny tires will do more for a rig in 'muddy' trails then wide tires. Plus our XJs are 'lighter' rigs the skinny helps with higher tire foot print pressure...andy

Last edited:
tight woods,mud, mud, mud and mud pits, ruts, ravines and a small river is mostly where i wheel..

after talking with a friend i think i might have decided to go with the 15x8's with a beadlock... a DIY bead lock kit like from rock stomper or tnt or something...

weld them on etc... then i wont have any issues with the 9.5" tire on a 8" rim right?

ANY ONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THESE "WELD ON" BEAD LOCKS?(havent used the search button but will in a sec.)

tight woods,mud, mud, mud and mud pits, ruts, ravines and a small river is mostly where i wheel..

after talking with a friend i think i might have decided to go with the 15x8's with a beadlock... a DIY bead lock kit like from rock stomper or tnt or something...

weld them on etc... then i wont have any issues with the 9.5" tire on a 8" rim right?

ANY ONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THESE "WELD ON" BEAD LOCKS?(havent used the search button but will in a sec.)

Only issue with your idea is that with weld on locks your rim will be 9" wide(most weld-ons add an inch to your rim, get a 7" rim.

I'm running DIY4x.coms weld on bead locks and love them. The welding is something not everyone can or should do, It's yours and everyone elses life on the road if you Fawck up the welds. Let a Pro weld them on with a big welder...andy miobi.org

ok so i think i am NOT going to use the 15x8's my friend has....

so i am going to order some "steelies" however not sure what to get...

i think i am going to get these 15x6's http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=USW-70-5612&N=700+4294923107+4294923106+4294923105+4294755963+4294793325+4294795078+115&autoview=sku

and then i can add beadlocks later (btw i have a friend with a "big boy" welder and he is a good welder so no issues there) and i wont have any doubts about width issues....

however i really like the soft 8's but they come in 15x7's
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=CRR-3975712&N=700+4294923107+4294923106+4294923105+4294755963+4294793325+4294795102+115&autoview=sku

and not sure if there will be issues with adding beadlocks to them and getting them too wide...

either way i think the 15x6's are the best route as i am not sure if i will get the beadlocks installed right away.... however i prefer the looks of soft 8's but have heard of issues with these tires even on 7" rims...

any input again would be great

Get the 15x7s, throw some beadlocks on there and don't worry about them. I blew several beads on 34x10.5 LTB/15x8 steel wheels at 15-20lbs. I even ran them at about 10lbs and they rocked, but blew a bead soon after. Hah, knew it was coming.

Anyways, the 15x7s w/ beadlocks are nice because you can reuse them if you ever get a different width tire and you still have beadlocks.

yeah i am going to have to go with et89xj on this one pizza cutter rock but a 9.5 on a 8" rims does not seem to work. I am running the same set up as et89xj and i will say that 10.5's on a 8" rim with with the DIY4x.com's bead locks rock so if you and find some 7's and call it good you will love skinny tires.

here is a pic off my 10.5's on my comanche

316773255.jpg

Back