• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no fire on two cylenders

rebelcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
:confused: I have an 89 xj and I replaced the motor this weekend and when I tried to start it. all it would do is run very rough the timming is dead on but it won't fire on two cylenders, #1 and #6. Here is a list of what I have replaced:

Knock Sensor, Distributer, Cap, Rotor, Plugs, Plug wires, CPS.

Please I need your help
Thanks

Try swapping plugs and wires to see if problem moves.

X2, You probably are getting spark on those 2 cylinders up to the distributor, but there is a problem between the distributor and the plug. Never underestimate spark plugs, I have seen a brand new set (autolite) be bad out of the box, and another time I had 2 out of 4 that were bad (platinum plugs).

Not to belabor the obvious, but have you checked the plug wires for continuity? As I recall, the two ends use an angled connector where the others are straight, and those connectors can sometimes be difficult to remove without pulling them apart inside. If you're getting spark at all, but losing it to the two end cylinders, the wires themselves would be my prime suspect.

I just tried two more wire to no avail. Tomorrow I will go and get some Champion spark plugs or does any body know a better plug

Don't just throw parts at it, just switch two of the plugs around first and see if you have the same results. If you still plan on buying plugs, the 4.0 likes champion truck plugs.

Thank ya'll for all your help in my problem. All I have to say is that if you want somthing done right then do it yourself! Meaning I had help from my brother who got in a hurry and put the flexplate out of a 1993 Grand Cherokee on my 89 XJ I put a new flexplate on and all of my problems went away. Thanks again for all of ya'll's help:party:

Thank ya'll for all your help in my problem. All I have to say is that if you want somthing done right then do it yourself! Meaning I had help from my brother who got in a hurry and put the flexplate out of a 1993 Grand Cherokee on my 89 XJ I put a new flexplate on and all of my problems went away. Thanks again for all of ya'll's help:party:
Damn, that jerk caused u alot of extra work:exclamati

Back