• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Offset Ball joints

cw50must

NAXJA Forum User
So I had play in the ball joints on the passenger's side and was replacing them today.
I got them both out no problem, however after they were out I compared them to the new ones I got, tunrs out the upper that was in there was an offset one. The parts store does sell the offset ones so I am ok there, lucky me they are 3xs the cost. Problem, I have no idea how the old one was positioned in the axle. I then checked the other side and it has an offset one as well. So my question is, how should I put in the new ones? Is it possible for an alignment shop to move them after they are in, or would I be better off installing the regular one taking it to the shop and letting the alignment folks put the offset one in?

They have to be correctly placed prior to pressing them in.Its hard to say what they were compensating for to begin with(castor vs camber).

There was already offset ones in there so I figure something is up. I bought this axle second hand and its been full of suprises.
I'm thinking of putting the regular one in and seeing how far off it is. Its not a DD so maybe I can live with it.

You have to wonder if they were put in there to compensate for tire wear or driveability issues.
My 88 was a touch more stable at interstate speeds with the offsets and a little negative camber. Tire wear was good, it actually seemed to help the typical tread edge scuff that happened on my other XJ's.
I haven't noticed any significant difference since I went back to standard ball joints.

You have to wonder if they were put in there to compensate for tire wear or driveability issues.
My 88 was a touch more stable at interstate speeds with the offsets and a little negative camber. Tire wear was good, it actually seemed to help the typical tread edge scuff that happened on my other XJ's.
I haven't noticed any significant difference since I went back to standard ball joints.
The off-sets were put in for a reason. Prolly to correct alignment issues. If it were me, I would get it to a GOOD alignment shop & find out what's up. Tires are too dang spendy to ruin over alignment issius,

They have to be correctly placed prior to pressing them in.
Not really.

I used the NAPA premium 2 Deg offset upper joints. The BJ is not knurled so after installing them I used an angle finder to set the camber by turning the joint with a large pipe wrench and then tack welded in place. Been about 2 years and no problems at all.

FWIW, I tried a set of Federal-Mogul adjustable joints prior to using the NAPA joints. They were junk right out of the box.

Uh, yes, you do, Frank. You've also started to adjust your caster by turning that offset balljoint. Not much, and the change varies with the sine of the rotation, but it is there.

And if I can spin that balljoint with a pipewrench, I'm looking for a new inner C.

Back