• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1 More Question.....Help

xJeepxXJxThingx

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 cherokee and just replcaed tranny and just drove it this morning at lights it seems to jump out of gear then back into 1st is this normal after replacing tranny.... and also speedo and odometer and temp gauges not working now what coupld problem be please help.........

explain "jump out of gear".

The speedo and odometer are cable driven and unrelated to the temp gauge. Did you remove the cluster?

I have a 93 cherokee and just replcaed tranny and just drove it this morning at lights it seems to jump out of gear then back into 1st is this normal after replacing tranny....

Boy that sounds a whole lot like your transmission doesn't have quite enough fluid in it. After blowing a transmission line on the trail, mine behaved the same way. When I checked the fluid, it was a bit low. Some more fluid, and the problem went right away.

The speedometer / odometer issue sounds like the cable is disconnected. If you've had the cluster out recently, check to make sure the cable is firmly attached to the spindle on the back of the gauge - it can be a real bitch to get it back on.

Speedometer and odometer on a 93 are electrically driven not cable.

I was doing some unrelated electrical work involving the fuse panel on my 93 today. We were heading to a basketball game tonight and I looked down to find the only thing working was the temp gauge. Speedometer, tach, odometer, gas, volts and oil pressure were dead. Hopefully just a fuse in the wrong slot or left out. But why would the temp gauge be working?

Last edited:
Instead of drive, try switching into 3, this can help to rule out a linkage\cable problem. More details on the tranny, is it new, rebuilt, JY, how much fluid did you put in it, etc.

I could have swore it was dexron 4.... But it was because fluid was low..... but still couldnt find out gauge problems i havent taken out the cluster gauge at all......

Back