• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Window/Lock Switch

YJTypeR

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having a strange problem with my power window and door lock switches in my XJ. My driver door switch can raise and lower any window in the Jeep but none of the other individual switches work. The two front door lock swithes actuate only the passenger door unless it is really cold outside in which case both switches will actuate all of the Jeep's locks.

Any suggestions?

98 XJ Classic, 4.0

It usually has to do with the driver's side switch. The lockout gets screwed up and there's only one way I know of to get the other switches working without buying a new one. You can place a jumper between some of the wires either in the kick panel or right by the switch and all will be well. My experience has shown me that it's better in the kick panel. If you do this the only downfall will be that the window lock will no longer work. I'll search for my old posts

So you are thinking that i have two isolated problems? I used to be able to smack my door panel a bit and get the other window switches to function VERY briefly. Any idea on the lock portion?

yeah i have the same window prob with my 99 classic. thanks for the quick link to your write up

same with my 98 classic except my locks work fine the tiny light in the window switches is out excpet for the drivers side except i have all replacement swicthes for my jeep

the door lock problem is caused by worn door lock actuators. Also could be from weak power supply from the switches. The cheapest cure is to install relays and use the switches to power them...that way you get a strong 12V supply. on a side note spraying some Grease into my door lock's helped.

The cherokee Master controll panel is a problem...very few jeeps have one that works 100%

Back