• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-Fan Problem

YJTypeR

NAXJA Forum User
Looks like my fan is currently burnt out but when it was still functional it would kick on when the A/C clutch engaged but never when the engine started to get really hot. I've been in the red range of the temp gauge without it clicking on. Any suggestions?

98' XJ Classic, 4.0 AW4

Connect it straight to the battery to see if it's the fan or the electronics. If it came on with the A/C and not the temp, I'd bet it's not the fan.

Test or replace the coolant temp sensor on the thermostat housing.

I hooked the battery up to my fan to verify that it was the fan that was bad after it stopped working with the a/c compressor.

Does the coolant temperature sensor also send signal to the dash gauge? The gauge seems to be working fine. If these are unrelated then I will give it a go. Anybody know off hand the correct signal ranges the sensor should be sending?

The temp sender in the head at the corner of the valve cover by driver's side firewall--this is for the dash gauge. The coolant temp sensor in the t-stat housing controls the fan. Try running the engine with it unplugged and see if it turns on.

His 98 should only have one sensor, should it not? For the later years, I'm pretty sure the only sensor is in the Tstat housing.

I forgot to mention that the 96 and older have the two temp sensors and the 97+ have just the cts.

The newer Jeeps use the one temp sensor - the computer reads it and turns the fan on.
Check the wiring, fan, and relay. If the guage is working, the sensor is working.

Must be something in the wiring then. The relay works fine and the fan used to work consistently with the A/C compressor. I think because of my A/C leak the fan burnt up because of the constant quick on/off cycling. Looks like a manual switch is in the future, bummer.

i just bought a new e-fan for my 98 off ebay, brand new, for $50, including shroud and everything. Works great. The vendor's name was FreshCabinAir. They sell all that stuff. Comes with warranty also.

Back