• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quesion on license plate lights with aftermarket bumpers

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I know Ca law requires your plate to be illuminated at night. Those of you with rear bumper/tire carriers, what are you using?

I was hoping something battery powered existed but I haven't found it yet. I'd rather not do wiring, because I hate it.

but do they require wiring or are they powered by their own battery?

usually they are wired in. if you dont want to do the wiring John we can tackle it some weekend, im pretty good with that kind of stuff. just find a light you like and we'll giterdun :cheers:

I know Ca law requires your plate to be illuminated at night. Those of you with rear bumper/tire carriers, what are you using?

I was hoping something battery powered existed but I haven't found it yet. I'd rather not do wiring, because I hate it.

I got the www.detoursusa.com slimline bumper. Bumper installation says to unbolt license plate and move over to the next set of holes. Actually it says to drill more holes, but I just used two. I'm going to move the license plate later.

PDS (Pretty Damned Simple)

Jeep_Bushwackers4.jpg

When i had my tire carrier, didnt have a light on my plate. It was zip tied to the rim on my spare. Never was I pulled over for that reason, however i was pulled over for other infractions and the officer(s) never said anything about not having a light on the plate.

I think if its in clear view with no obstructions they wont hassle you.

ive been stopped twice for one of the 2 lights being out. :dunno: guess it depends where you drive.

That, or they see my jeep and think "jesus, if I pull him over I'll be doing paperwork all night.."

=)

I got the www.detoursusa.com slimline bumper. Bumper installation says to unbolt license plate and move over to the next set of holes. Actually it says to drill more holes, but I just used two. I'm going to move the license plate later.

PDS (Pretty Damned Simple)

Jeep_Bushwackers4.jpg

Based on the tire location that won't work with the JCR.

Cal, I normally don't drive it to the bar, but sometimes thats the only time I ever get a chance to drive it.

Based on the tire location that won't work with the JCR.

Cal, I normally don't drive it to the bar, but sometimes thats the only time I ever get a chance to drive it.

JCR wasn't mentioned in your original post.

I've seen license plate relocators that mount in the center of the spare tire. Light included.

Of course the down side is having to run the 12 volt line up to in and really find a nice way to route it.

I want to mount a Jerry can on my spare swing out, so I was thinking about moving the license plate down to the swing out bar just below the spare. I could drill a hole near the pivot point of the swing out and run the 12 volt line through the square tube.

On my C4x4 rear bumper, I wired in the light kit from a simple trailer, along with a 2" clearance lamp right in the center of the spare tire carrier. For wiring, I used trailer 4 lead cabling, with a connector at the hinge so it can be easily disassembled if necessary.

JCR wasn't mentioned in your original post.

I've seen license plate relocators that mount in the center of the spare tire. Light included.

Of course the down side is having to run the 12 volt line up to in and really find a nice way to route it.

I want to mount a Jerry can on my spare swing out, so I was thinking about moving the license plate down to the swing out bar just below the spare. I could drill a hole near the pivot point of the swing out and run the 12 volt line through the square tube.

I know, I'm just saying. That option works for your carrier quite well, but not for all of them.

I know, I'm just saying. That option works for your carrier quite well, but not for all of them.

Ok, no problem, hopefully some of the other suggestions will work for you.

I took the trim off my rear hatch door which has a light in it, chopped it down to the width of a license plate, glued it back together, and bolted it over the light.

I ran electrical from the right rear tail light.

l_04119fd3392e4283b32b55e8cc868e99.jpg

kragen. 15 bux. 20 minutes to install. self tapping screws for license plate. done and done

More like $7 or so.

In+The+Garage.jpg

That damn plastic cover breaks off easily though. Good thing they're only $7 so I don't mind buying a few a year :D

Back