• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Four cylinder auto 4x4 ?

My 85 has a 2.5 four cylinder with a three speed auto and a 229 tranfer case. HTH. Auto trannies were offered with the four banger and 4wd in all years the xj was made except the last year or two I think.

Kim.

Thanks for proving they exist!!

I have kinda figured they might be around from the early years when the 3 speeds were used with v-6 (pre AW4 in 87)

So I know I can at least be looking for a 84-86

Greg

Found a '91 XJ 2.5, AW4, NP231 in the junkyard that still HAD the 4.56 gears in the axles. The rear WAS the 81/4, but now the XJ has NO axles under it...(wonder were they went...wink, wink, nudge, nudge). Oh, and there was a 92(!) XJ that had the D-44 under it, and the Ubolts looked like they were the factory installed ones, so maybe somebody managed to "order" the D-44 option in '92? Oh, well, that axle went home with me too, since it looked like it was lonely. By the way, anyone interested in the Renault Turbo Diesel? there is one of those out there and it still runs.

ren said:
Found a '91 XJ 2.5, AW4, NP231 in the junkyard that still HAD the 4.56 gears in the axles. The rear WAS the 81/4, but now the XJ has NO axles under it...(wonder were they went...wink, wink, nudge, nudge). Oh, and there was a 92(!) XJ that had the D-44 under it, and the Ubolts looked like they were the factory installed ones, so maybe somebody managed to "order" the D-44 option in '92? Oh, well, that axle went home with me too, since it looked like it was lonely. By the way, anyone interested in the Renault Turbo Diesel? there is one of those out there and it still runs.

Wonder what that TD would cost to get to IL?????? I would love to build a french-fry powered wheeler....

j3greg said:
I have seen manual 4x4

and have seen Auto and manual in 2wd

But was there ever a four wheel drive 2.5 Auto XJ?? (like in a wrangler)?

If so what year??

I know my father in law has one out on the farm, it is not used anymore, and i dont know really what is wrong with it, but i would imagine that i could figure out what all is wrong, and what he wants for it. I think it is a 88 4cy, auto 4x4 jeep. Body looks pretty straight, and the inside did not look bad last time i looked, but they have alot of pack rats, so who knows how much work it is going to be to make it run again.(wiring is probley bad now)

Where at in northern Ill.? I run through the Chi-town/ Peoria area too many times a month allready ( Stupid Cat parts runs, plus the Mitsu plant), so maybe I could get it and drag it up to you sometime.

ren said:
Where at in northern Ill.? I run through the Chi-town/ Peoria area too many times a month allready ( Stupid Cat parts runs, plus the Mitsu plant), so maybe I could get it and drag it up to you sometime.

Southwest of Rockford. About 20 miles from I-39 or I-88.

My DD is a 84' 2 door with a 2.5 auto 4x4. I was really suprised how well it does on hills and the interstate. All stock with 215/75r15 tires. Not sure what gears it has but it is a good all around jeep. I want to put a header on it with about 3.5"- 4.5" of lift and 33" tires.

I would say it is probably geared around 3.54-3.73. I HAD a '84 that was setup like yours, only on a set of 31"'s and it absolutely hated life on the road with the stock gears in it. Other than that, it was a decent little rig. I knd of miss the little beast, what with gas prices these days.
W howey, I am leaving tonight for the Slohio area (Jeepland run), so I will ask my wife to go see what the yard wants for the T/D, and we can go from there, allright? If the price is not too bad, I will get it for you, and the next time that I run towards your area, I will bring it with me.

ren said:
Found a '91 XJ 2.5, AW4, NP231 in the junkyard that still HAD the 4.56 gears in the axles.

I got my front axle out of an 89 2.5 auto to get the 4.56's from it. It had gold wheels, gold running boards and a vinyl top too

Well - all the talk of the turbo Diesel got me thinking - what was the fuel mileage of the TD.

Ended up on the EPA website and got the information I was originally looking for

So for you triva buffs - According the the VERY knowledgeable Jeep experts in the gov. the years 4wd, auto, 2.5l were available are

84,85,86 - 3 speed auto
87,88,89,90 - 4 speed auto
95 - 3 speed

BTW - TD was available in 86,87 and rated at 28 city, 29 hwy

Thanks everyone

Back