• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why all the TSL SS Bogger hate?

QuadraTracGuy

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and found nothing but horrible posts about Super Swamper Boggers. Seems like nobody here runs them on there rig?

They were the best thing since sliced bread on my last rig. They made my open diff'd rig able to go almost anywhere. So why all the hate for boggers on XJ's?

they made my locked front and rear rig not go almost anywhere.

Boggers are good if you go in a stait line, and stay away from off camber side hills. I wheel with alot of guys who run boggers on the rear, and swampers on the front. They are all locked in the rear. They run this tire setup becuse it allows them to paddle with the rear, and steer the front. They seem to to do really well, but do experience some lateral stability problems on side hills, the boggers just want to slide sideways. Boggers are not street tires, as KTM will tell you. I would only run them if I wheel in alot of mud their are better choices which compromise less, handle beter on hils, will last 30K on the street. Micah...

Well, my XJ is not my DD, but I do have to drive it to the trails. And I'm not really into the full size mud bogging type of 'froading. I'm more into the trail exploring type of stuff, but I do come across the usual mudholes on trails and boggers always made it a very simple process of getting across the real sloppy sections of trail and occasional big hole. The only time I really had any problems with side slopes with the Boggers was on snow. There is basically no rock up here in the northwest so I'm not really concerned with wet rock type stuff.
I basically made this thread to get other peoples trail experience with these tires. I wonder if it has to do with the XJ, not weighing as much as full size rigs. My last off-road rig was a K5 Blazer with a 4 inch suspension lift and 35/12.5 Boggers and cut fenders, it was a lot heavier than an XJ, but I had open diffs front and rear, it flexed well for a full size leaf sprung vehicle. My XJ does have an Aussie Locker in the rear. So, I may go with some less aggresive mud terrains.

If you've had good luck with boggers, why not run them? One big problem is the weight of them and XJ axles don't like that...On another note, you could always groove them to get some better traction. I personally have never ran boggers, but know many people that have and they liked them, but we deal with a lot of mud where I live. TSL's or LTB's are a great choice also, but like stated previously, the bias tires aren't the best for on road driving, but its managable.

I ran boggers on my '79 toyota (lockright in back) for about 5 years during the winters. It was my daily driver at the time and I drove it about 40 miles/day to and from work. These were by far the best tires I have used in mud. They behaved was better then expected on the street. However, these were by for the worst tires I have used on gravel roads. It seemed like any incline would require 4wd or getting a good run at. Forget stopping on a hill and trying to take off again - the tires would just dig down and I would go nowhere - often even while in 4wd. The BFG AT's I ran in the summer were head and shoulders above the boggers in pretty much every way - except for mud. I haven't run boggers on my xj, so I don't know if the performance would be different.

haha im not a fan of rednecks, im from michigan though :O

I guess if mud is all you do, and no lateral stuff then boggers are a good idea. Most on here dont like them because in general on XJ forums you find people more interested in rock crawling than mud bogging.

...i just ordered 35" SSRs, why not try some of those?

Because they bring the suck.

First of 4 different SSR's where this happened.

1166386983.jpg

I run boggers for the trails. Last year it was 33 12.50 and now 37 13. I ran them at Moab without issue and i run them in the snow all the time. There are plenty of people in our area that can attest I go anywhere I need to. I run them around 4-8 psi.

I also happen to have the small set for sale and don't live to far away.

I've ran them on my other Jeep, didn't care for them much. Forward traction is excellent on most muddy trails, they tend to dig in sand and hop around when powering over steep rock. They are heavy, and if you drive aggressively you''ll probably break things. The sidehill traction is abysmal, as in you tend to slide right off the trail if you're not careful.

The TSL is a much better overall tire. Nearly as good of traction in the mud, way better overall in every other terrain.

haha im not a fan of rednecks, im from michigan though :O

I guess if mud is all you do, and no lateral stuff then boggers are a good idea. Most on here dont like them because in general on XJ forums you find people more interested in rock crawling than mud bogging.

Hey i'm a redneck and i would never run a set of Boggers on anything but a Huge truck set up for mud. They are too heavy, Have no side hill traction, and are just too much for a Jeep IMO. I'll be ordering a set of Maxxis Bighorns or BFG KM2's in the near future!

Those SSR sidewalls are bulged, cord separation/breaking in the carcass. The TRXUS MTs tend to do the same when heavily abused.

If you wheel in mud there is no better tire IMO. They will chew through anything and clean out quite well. I went with IROK's on my TJ since it see's a bit of street action, and although they do quite well in pretty much every situation the Boggers are better in mud.

Way too much mud around here for all-terrains.
What's wrong with hicks? I'm more hick than I am emo or punk or something else. :)

First off, no offense but I'm not a huge fan of your forum name. I hate my Quadratrac! But anyways..

The TSL is a much better overall tire. Nearly as good of traction in the mud, way better overall in every other terrain.

TSL/SX all the way! :peace:

I love my TSLs they're awesome. Haven't really gotten to test them out alot yet honestly. I have had good experience with Iroks though. Even in the mud they're much better than a mud terrain.

Back