• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there a all around tire for my use?

snowjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I currently run 265/75/16 at's in the winter and 32/11.5/15 in the summer. The jeep snow plows in the winter and goes on 3 or 4 trail/mud rides in the summer. Also 1 or 2 snow runs in the winter. The jeep has 5 inches of lift, cut fenders with bushwacker flairs, and 4.10 gears. I was thinking bfg mud 33/10.5/15 but not sure I like how skinny they look. And a 33/12.5/15 would be to wide for snow I think. Help?

you could probably run some of those 34" SS LTB's too

I got BFG AT/KO 12"x10.5" and love them in the snow. I think they make my truck look more like an skier than a body builder... if you know what I mean. I think MT would kinda suck in the snow.

I got BFG AT/KO 33"x10.5" and love them in the snow. I think they make my truck look more like an skier than a body builder... if you know what I mean. I think MT would kinda suck in the snow.

corrected tire size above (I think)

I run 33x10.5 BFG AT's aswell, I like my stance too, even with TJ/YJ flares there is good coverage. The bonus is I don't have slush n crap being tossed up all the time past the flares onto the side windows.

If your snow runs are not too deep the thinner tires are great as they cut threw and get to the ground below. If your in real deep stuff, you want floatation, your gonna need wide tires which will suck ash on the road otherwise.

I ran my tires through about 1 1/2' of snow with 6" of crusty stuff at the bottom on a trail last year for about 2 hours... they performed great.

Road, they are just fantastic.

i ran a 31x10.5" bfg a/t in the winter, then on another xj i had 33x12.5" bfg mt's and i honestly could not say that the a/t's were any better than the m/t's in snow and ice. they slipped alot. now i have 35x12.5" trxus mt's and they are better on snow and ice than the bfg a/t's or m/t's. amazing tires!!! i love them

I run 31x10.50 GY MTRs.

I believe them to be about half way between an AT tire and a MT tire. I run mostly snow an mud and while they are not flat out the best mud tire I do OK with them in the mud.

I have had the sipped and I believe they would be a pretty good match for you

I second the TrXus MT's they really do cover all the bases and very well too!
Another great tire that may work for you is the Cooper Discoverer S/T, it's a very aggressive AT.

Maxxis BigHorns will out perform the SS Truxus all day long in your area, I've ran both
near your area of wheeling, those are my thoughts......

Maxxis BigHorns will out perform the SS Truxus all day long in your area, I've ran both
near your area of wheeling, those are my thoughts......

Theres the combo breaker...

Its s tough chouce between the two, but if you want a long(er) lasting tire, go with the bighorns

with my 33"x10.5" BFG TA/KO's (your right, I mistyped the size) I can get through about 2 feet of snow. I have no locker. Once I have one, I doubt anything would stop me until I actually completely bottomed out the frame.

Theres the combo breaker...

Its s tough chouce between the two, but if you want a long(er) lasting tire, go with the bighorns

The compound on the TrXus is very pliable even in very cold arctic air climates. That being said for an all around do it all tire for this gentleman plowing snow and summer fun wheeling or whatever, even with Detour's point of view on the Bighorns which i respect, i think the TrXus is the winner. These tires in snow and ice are wicked. TrXus even has a competition version with an even more pliable compound but i think that is moot for this application, just an FYI.
AS far as what size you go with, i'd be looking for a tall and semi-narrow for your plowing and the they will still work great for wheeling.

Ok so if I go bfg I would get 33x10.5x15 at's if I go bighorns I think the only option is 33x12.5x15 whick to me is not a skinny tire at all. Am I missing something?

BFG A/T FTW!!! Best all terrain around hands down...:worship:

I run 33x12.5 and they are perfectly fine in the snow

Absulutely, positively....nothing ment negative towards any individual here, but-

When it comes to tires, I firmly believe it's a regional discussion......not only climate but soil plays a huge role in tire selection. I myself, am now in a new region....I look at the soil here as compared to what I was used to in the New England area, there is zero comparison, I'm still trying to choose......I think I'm stuck with Q~78's when I pass a tractor sporting dual 65's in the rear and they're just plain loaded with wet, doggie-doo like soil between the two tractor tread tires making it appear to be one, single, huge tire......

My personal thought would be to exchange thoughts in the regional section of this forum
for best results.

2 cent.

Back