• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

so.... I got accused of damaging a car in a parking lot

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
It was actually all "odd". I was out at Irvine Spectrum for a dinner and a movie and as we're walking back to the car (had my jeep and we parked in the parking structure) I noticed there was a local security truck, and a black and white right behind my jeep with only one car parked right next to me and windows rolled down (it was about midnight).

So I walk up and I notice the security guard guy is taking pictures of my jeep. Wtf? I'm thinking the car next to me got pulled for a DUI and he hit me or something. Anyways, I walk up and ask what are they doing, the cop walks up to me and asks me if this is my vehicle, I look at it and look back at him all confused and as I'm saying yes, he grabs me by my elbow, kind of lifts my arm so it almost locks in a socket and he pulls my knife from the pocket. As I protest that it's legal size he says that weapons make him nervous and he asks me if I have any other weapons on me. Since I had nothing he just threw the knife in the jeep (he wanted to put it on top and I told him I don't want to forget about it and loose it as I drive of).

Anyways, it turns out that the car next to me had door damage. Someone opened doors too wide. For a while I thought it was me but I didn't recall anything (actually I didn't drive but I parked..... although I didn't remember parking). Anyways, as the cops are ready to leave cause I'm ready to give the guy my insurance info an issue comes up again: no way I would have hit that door that way. I looked at the door and it was opening WAY above where his dent started. So I call the cop over and he's looking and frowning and looking and frowning and tries to open the door and looks at the angles and such and then asks the guy if he can HIT his car hard. Looks at me and I just said go ahead. Well he does and my door impacts in a totally different spot :D The cop apologized for taking up my time, I thanked him for looking at it one more time, he said it was his job and then took the other guy aside and started talking to him about something.......

Nice to be lifted :D

Shouldn't he have checked that to begin with? So did he really ding the guys door again to see if it was really your jeep that caused it?

And grabbing you right away over a door ding?

Glad it turned out good for you.

good thing that went your way! and i have to say... thats IPD for ya! i deal with that every time im pulled over. (im a closet ricer also)

XJLaredo said:
Shouldn't he have checked that to begin with? So did he really ding the guys door again to see if it was really your jeep that caused it?

And grabbing you right away over a door ding?

Glad it turned out good for you.

Well, they were in full writing mode (some sort of accident report card) when I got there. They kind of assumed that it's my door as my jeep has plenty of dings. Funny thing is that before they told me what it's all about they asked me if I know that my door is dented (or got a ding on it or some words to that effect). I said yeah, cause my drivers door is way tweaked from Lower Doran and Rubicon this year and it even closes funny.

Oh well, all's well what ends well :D

My rock rails have extra "nerf bars" extending out. When I see a fresh scrape on them in a parking lot they pay for themselves over and over in the enjoyment I get in seeing the corosponding pipe ding in the brain surgen's door edge next to me.

One time I was inside of a 7-11 getting a slurpee and the machine was right by where I could see my 95 eldorado parked out front. Some giant lifted f250 on some 40+ swampers opens their door right into my passenger window and shatters it.

They slammed their door shut and sped of like it never happened all before I could even drop my slurpee cup.

Parking lots suck.

Kejtar said:
...he grabs me by my elbow, kind of lifts my arm so it almost locks in a socket and he pulls my knife from the pocket. As I protest that it's legal size he says that ...

Just for pure technical accuracy, there is no limit on knife size in california. I can have a 15" folding knife, folded, tucked inside my pants and its perfectly legal. I can have a 24" flat bladed knife strapped to my pants hanging in public view, also legal. When I get back to california and my computer at work, I'll pull up the laws for you.

Nevermind, I remembered the code and pulled up a good site. Scan down to segment "12020" for the meaty stuff. There is no further law concerning what you can and cannot carry for a knife in California.

http://www.equalccw.com/knifelaw.html

-Cal

cal said:
Just for pure technical accuracy, there is no limit on knife size in california. I can have a 15" folding knife, folded, tucked inside my pants and its perfectly legal. I can have a 24" flat bladed knife strapped to my pants hanging in public view, also legal. When I get back to california and my computer at work, I'll pull up the laws for you.

Nevermind, I remembered the code and pulled up a good site. Scan down to segment "12020" for the meaty stuff. There is no further law concerning what you can and cannot carry for a knife in California.

http://www.equalccw.com/knifelaw.html

-Cal
Actually it's more complicated..... for all intents and purposes there is a under 4" rule which applies to a lot of locations. So if you want to be overall compliant in CA you have to be under 4". Bigger ones are fine if you don't enter buildings or properties as depending on the ownership rules start to change.

so was he a security guard or a cop, Remi? A security guard has no legal right to do that to you...a cop on the other hand should have asked you to put your hands in a visable place, not accosted you like he did....

Total BS. I'd file a complaint with everyone over this...nice to see that Mr. Detective couldn't figure it out simply by looking at the hight of your rig.

Damn Morons.

red91inWA said:
so was he a security guard or a cop, Remi?
It was a cop that disarmed me.

a cop on the other hand should have asked you to put your hands in a visable place, not accosted you like he did....
That's what I'm thinking.

Total BS. I'd file a complaint with everyone over this...nice to see that Mr. Detective couldn't figure it out simply by looking at the hight of your rig.
I don't think that I'll go as far as filing a complaint. Appart from pulling my knife they were very pleasant (and I had some BAD interactions with Irvine PD In the past where even though I didn't do anything I still was held at gun point :eek: ) I might go as far as drive down there one of these days just for a chat with the PD folks and see what they're policies are when it comes to disarming folks.

Remi its all because you look so menicing next time give him the "look"

All kidding aside you probably should at least put a call in to the local station and ask what the local policie is and if he was out of line just mention it so the watch commander can have knowledge of it. you dont have to make a formal complaint to talk to someone and you never know another incident with the same cop could go horribly wrong for the next guy

Makes you think about the hassles you would have with a CCW does'nt it?

All I want to know is who's this "we" you speak of. Finally becoming a socialite are you? :wave:

Back