• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case leak ?

Backdraft

NAXJA Forum User
I have a leak in my T-case (NP231) but cannot, for the life of me, find the dang thing. The turbulence causes ATF to fly all over the underside of the jeep. Its not really a huge leak, maybe add a half a quart every 250 miles or so, wich makes it bad enuff to be disturbing. Not to mention ive got ATF all over the place. When I shut it down the case has a film of fresh oil on it and it pools up on the drain plug as well as the bolt that goes in from underneath(dont know what its called). I was wondering if the early 231 T case was prone to leaking in a particular location, or if there is a seal that is prone to leakage. I dont really feel like taking it apart to reseal the whole thing if I can hunt it down. One other thing. It does not appear to be comming from the top anywhere as well as anywhere on the front of it. ATF is concentrated on the back half, but everywhere preventing a pinpoint. Sorry if this strays from making sense, kinda tired while typing it. Thanks again.

Mike

How about the fill / drain plugs? Have you opened it anytime in the past?

Open the fill plug every couple weeks to add more ATF, but I make sure its tite when done, checked the drain plug too and its tight.

Mike

check/swap the oring on the speedo.... on mine it was leaking there and I ended up getting a torque wrench to tighten the SOB as I was afraid of overtightening things and that proved to solve my problem...

Back