• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hooking up a horn switch to fuse block

dangerdan07

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys, I'm trying to hook in my own horn switch and I was going to get power from the fuse block so I was wondering how I'd hook it in.

I was thinking I'd stick the fuse at the red arrow and power to the switch at the green arrow which is labeled BATT. Am I on the right track here?

edit: bonus electrical diagram, the one labeled 12 is the one I'm looking at
[URL=http://imageshack.us]
[/URL]

Last edited:
What year? Most horn switches ground the horn relay. The power is to the relay and the horn button is the ground for the relay.

Here is a typical circuit for a Renix.

2eobga1.jpg

Horn circuit 93

257neiq.jpg

Often a horn fix is as simple as removing the three Phillips head screws under the horn button and cleaning the slip ring (contact plate) with a good solvent (it gets coated in grease) and the brush (contact) or getting the spring from an ink pen and replacing the spring behind the contact (brush/contact that rides on the slip ring) somebody has lost or just stretching the spring that is already behind the brush (contact) a little.
Sometimes the horns themselves just die.

Last edited:
Alright... I know for sure that I've lost the spring that came out and the little plastic(?) piece that went in it. Could I just replace the spring and it still work or do I need that piece or something like it? Thanks for the help so far. Appreciate it much.

axza0l.png
9icze1.png

I think just the spring might wear down fairly quickly, the pin (or brush) should be standard 80s Chevy and not too difficult to find. I really can't picture the retainer in the parts blowup, I doubt it's absolutely necessary.
If you have some brass brazing rod, you might make your own pin, I know an ink pen spring of the right diameter works fine, from experience. I've lost a few springs, but always managed to find the pin again, a magnet can be your friend. I keep a few old speaker magnets in the shop, nice to have around, especially if your working in gravel or grass. or even finding small pieces in the carpet.

Last edited:
Back