• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'92 drivetrain into '99

Skits

NAXJA Forum User
I've been wanting to convert my 2WD '99 to 4WD since I inherited it a few years ago, but I have been waiting for the right parts donor to come along. Lo and behold, a '92 with 160K miles comes up for sale locally for cheap. Rough body, but supposedly good driveline. Also has stainless header of unknown origin, front axle from a '97, 2" lift (BB I assume).

My plan is to swap over the 4WD parts, yank the engine for a future stroker, and then drag the rusted carcass to the junkyard.

Is there anything about a '92 that wouldn't be compatable with my '99? Transmission electronics voodoo? Tranny/bellhousing weirdness?

-Thanks

Nobody?

Seems like the only drawback to a '92 would be the disco axle, but this one has D30 from a '97.

I'm gonna buy it. If nothing else I can part some of it out and recoup my $$.

You can swap in the 92 TCU, but you'll have to do a bunch of re-wiring as the connectors are be different. The 92 TCU won't talk to the 99 ECU since its OBDI versus OBDII. Not a huge problem, but it will set the check engine light which might be an issue if you have emissions testing or inspections.

If it is cheap enough, get it and take what you need as far as suspension and then part the rest

Yeah, its cheap. It'd be worth it for the rest.

We don't have emissions testing here, so that isn't a big deal. I would like to know when something else sets off the CEL instead of it being constantly on.

Thanks for the info guys.:cheers:

I wonder if you could leave the 99 TCU under the dash with just the power and OBDII diagnostic lines connected. A bit of a kludge though.

Or one of the manual-shift controllers, like AWShifting?

That would work too. The issue was that although he could swap in the 92 TCU with a bunch of splicing, it would throw a check engine light when teh engine computer couldn't talk to the trans computer.

Back