• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Code 1698 and 1694

Sonex522

NAXJA Forum User
I've had my 2000 Cherokee about a month now. Runs perfect. Never had a CEL until the emissions test guy started it up to check the codes.:flamemad: They just about had to call the cops on me.

The two codes indicate a comm problem with the transmission control module. It appears to have happened on a hot re-start, which I haven't done much if at all since buying the truck. It still runs, drives, and shifts just fine.

Loose connection? Anything typical? Where do I start?

Last edited:
Doesn't come up a lot but I would certainly start by inspecting and verifying the wiring harness and connections to the transmission control module. GOOGLE search using the code numbers can also be helpful. Good Luck!

Doesn't come up a lot but I would certainly start by inspecting and verifying the wiring harness and connections to the transmission control module. GOOGLE search using the code numbers can also be helpful. Good Luck!

I roamed around internet land and did a search of NAXJA posts, and I'm puzzled because most folks with these codes have something wrong like no gauges or a running problem. My truck works fine, it just has the codes. I'm gonna be ticked if I find out the smog guy triggered a code when he plugged in - doubtful, I know, but that's when the light came on.

I unplugged a module under the dash, right above the gas pedal. It's connections looked perfectly clean. I plugged it in a couple times. I checked continuity of the ground strap on the firewall and at the battery - no probs there. There's a square box behind the driver side headlight with 3 big plugs on it. I unplugged those and they too looked great, so I plugged them back in.

I disconnected the battery and I have the truck in the garage warming up. Will leaving the battery disconnected for a bit clear the code? I guess I'll find out in a little while.

disco the battery with the engine running is bad ok to do if its not running but can cause probs and damage to the computer with it running

disco the battery with the engine running is bad ok to do if its not running but can cause probs and damage to the computer with it running

I re-read my post about disconnecting the battery. By warming up I meant I had my garage heater on so the whole Jeep would warm up. It's been fargin cold here.

I'd never disconnect a battery on a running vehicle.

Well, I made it 20 miles to work with no CEL yet. Any idea how many miles to get the computer back to ready to test mode? I want to take another whack at passing my emissions test.

I can't remember how many cycles of on / off it takes before the fault code clears for a 2000 but I'd like to know too; somebody please chime in.

I believe that you could get the code cleared by a shop or somebody with a scantool/code reader with that capability if you want to speed up the process.

Back