• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering kits...why the price difference in these 2

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

ive found a good steering set up which i want to go with which complete offroad has
http://completeoffroad.com/i-124127-tie-rod-drag-link-kit-dana-3044-and-60.html

also just found this kit at jcroffroad

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1TNSTOTK&Category_Code=S6

so why the price difference in the 2. they pretty much look identical, with the complete offroad even having thicker DOM tubing, but the jcroffroad kit is 100 bucks more

also is this set up suitable for running hydro assist (inverted t)

JCR taps threads into the tie-rod and draglink directly. With the Complete Offroad kit, you have to weld in the inserts that are threaded. You also won't get complete thread engagement. I don't know much about the debate on weld-in vs. tapped so I won't go there.

Thread in is way better IMO. I will always take that over the weld in inserts. Like Mopar said, there is less than an inch of solid thread engagement with the inserts. That being said, I do not think I have seen a weld in insert fail.......................:dunno:

i run inserts on everything, make sure your welds are good, maybe even plug weld them and keep the jam nuts tight and you won't have an issue

Also, one of the main reasons for the price difference, is JCR's kit is already put together, ready for you to paint then install. You have to cut to length the DOM in the other kit, then weld in the inserts.

I have a similar kit to the complete offroad, but I got it through Ballistic Fab. Only problem I've had was I needed to get taps to chase the threads after I welded the inserts, which you have to do most of the time when welding an insert, and it was already known before hand.

Also, one of the main reasons for the price difference, is JCR's kit is already put together, ready for you to paint then install. You have to cut to length the DOM in the other kit, then weld in the inserts.

I have a similar kit to the complete offroad, but I got it through Ballistic Fab. Only problem I've had was I needed to get taps to chase the threads after I welded the inserts, which you have to do most of the time when welding an insert, and it was already known before hand.

i just weld them in with the tie rod ends threaded in, never had a problem

Ya, I didn't have the tie rods with me when I welded them in, so I couldn't do that.

Back