• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fast clunking while climbing hills slow?

chrisgerman1983

NAXJA Forum User
i have a noise that i am needing some help diagnosing. I have a really steep driveway and whenever i drive up it i start hearing a really fast clunking. sounds like from the front :confused: it only rally happens while coming up the driveway and a little bit after i flatten out. what thing should i be checking for? Can the transfercase make noise while in 2WD or is everything disconnected? i also hear a bit of noise while driving around normal in 2WD it sounds like it could be a chain or something else slopping around. Any help would be greatly appreciated! i know its a jeep and some noise should be expected but im getting a little concerned.

Front axle U-joint. They usually act up worse when you are in 4X and going around a corner. Could be most any U-joint, many act up when the weight or center of the vehicle shifts (angle of the U-joint) or sometimes at specific speeds.

i checked for any play in the ujoint and there was a fair bit of play in the driveshaft coming out of the transfercase. there was about 1/2 an inch play back and forth. it does make more noise in 4WD and it gets worse the longer it is in 4WD if i take it out for a second then put it back in it is quieter for a minute then gets loud again?? im confused

I usually jam something through the yoke and then try to turn the shaft. Or in other words figure out some way to stop one half of the yoke and turn the other, to check the U-joints, then look right at the rubber seal for the bearing cap on the U-joint.
A little shaft play at the transfer is normal, the chain isn't drum tight, but has some built in play. The chain jumping always kind of reminded me of a tin can full of rocks being shaken. The Chain usually rattles and gives some other sort of tip off before it gets seriously stretched and way bad. I've never manged to jump a transfer chain in either a 231 or a 242. I have in other sorts of transfers.

when the chain jumped in my 231 it actually ate one of the gears on the main shaft. The only symptom I got was a loud pop when turning left or when it was under pressure going up hill. When I drained the fluid it was evident something was wrong due to all the metal and gear teeth at the bottom of the case.

when the chain jumped in my 231 it actually ate one of the gears on the main shaft. The only symptom I got was a loud pop when turning left or when it was under pressure going up hill. When I drained the fluid it was evident something was wrong due to all the metal and gear teeth at the bottom of the case.

can the chain make noise while not in 4WD because it does kinda sound like a chain slipping off the teeth or something ?? today i drove up in 4WD and the sound was the same as when i was in 2WD

yes, the t-case turns the rear axle also

try to "power-brake" it. If the chain is that loose you will hear it. If you hear nothing then it may be a u-joint. Don't get on the gas too hard because the case could explode...but you will know what the problem is then.

Back