• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE and driveshaft question

chrisja77

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, maybe you can help me. I just relifted my jeep, and I'm sitting on 7" of lift and 35's right now. I'm getting ready to install my SYE, and everything I have read, I can use a stock front driveshaft out of an auto XJ. The question I have is this... I twisted my rear driveshaft in half today, and I had a buddy who had a spare I was going to use. I tried to mount it under the jeep, but it was about 1.5" too short to be able to mount up and still be able to slide onto the slip yoke. I have a 95 2 door 231/5speed/D35 combo. He has an auto/231/8.25 combo. He is running a SYE and stock front shaft. My question is, will I be able to use a stock front shaft, or will it be too short? He says the stock front shaft is stretched pretty good to be able to fit under his rig. Since my driveline is obviously so much longer than his, what are my options?

The pinion on the D35 is shorter than the other rear ends. You need to check front shafts from grand cherokees. Some of them are a little longer than the front XJ shaft.

At 7" of lift chances are it's going to be short. But it's all pretty vehicle dependent, it may work for you it may not. Some people have run 5" of lift with the stock driveshaft with no problem, I lost my DS at 5" with the same drivetrain. It may be a trail and error thing for you.

The pinion on the D35 is shorter than the other rear ends. You need to check front shafts from grand cherokees. Some of them are a little longer than the front XJ shaft.

Any idea which ones are longer? And is it the front Grand shaft or rear I need to look for? I haven't heard of using this...

A Dana 35 with 35's you must like trying to cheat death. Anyway the turdy-5 is shorter then the 8.25 and 44's the 5 speed also shortens things but you can use a ZJ front driveshaft with the same result. The ZJ shafts are longer.

Thanks! I'll go look for a ZJ front shaft then. I'm also working on swapping out the rear with an 8.8, but it's gonna be a month or so until that happens.

Back