• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trac-Bar help?

codeman8118

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,I've recently got problems with my trac bar i believe....Every so often i hear a pop sound after i turn my wheel...it only happens occasionally....Les Schwab after i got an alignment said my trac-bar wiggles side-to-side when turning the wheel...My question is....and they suggested just getting anew tie rod end..rustys adjustable (ick).im going to do that but i also want to know if it has to do with the bracket going to an egg shape that creates that pop sound? or do you think it is just a worn out TRE on the upper bracket of the trac-bar?

first and easiest would be to tighten the bottom bolt to make sure thats not the problem (happened to me thats why I mention it)
also you can remove bottom bolt and see if it has wallowed out the hole.
if so you can use a larger bolt to compensate, or weld a piece over the hole with a new hole drilled into the new plate.
other than that, if you any lift, or plan on any, you could get a whole new trac bar and frame bracket (stay away from Rusty's tho please) but if the bottom hole is the problem the new trac bar wouldn't solve that problem.

I don't know why everyone thinks Rustys is junk. I just switched my T/B from Rustys to Rough Country and the Rustys is much more heavy duty. The tie-rod ends are Moog so they should be decent. The popping you here is probably the end moving within itself. I know since thats what mine did. If it was mine I would just get there stronger upper mount.

I found out mine was wallowed out so I went and drilled it bigger and was planning on drilling the track bar sleeve too but the bit I had wasn't goo enough or that metal is really hard, I couldn't even get it started. I ended up jbwelding a washer in place (I dont have a welder, so I figured I'd try this first) and as soon as I cranked down on the bolt it broke loose lol. I tightened it down really good though, and I haven't noticed any more popping than before

Tighten the bracket at the frame end. Mine was doing the same thing and I could feel it in the floor. I thought I had broken one of the control arm mounts! But after having my wife move the wheel, I saw that the mounting bracket was moving. I cranked it down untill the vein in my forehead felt like it was gonna rupture, then put a cheater bar on the ratchet and tourqued it some more. There are 3 bolts that hold it on, hit those and see what it does.

Tighten the bracket at the frame end. Mine was doing the same thing and I could feel it in the floor.

Mine does the same thing. I have the RE bracket and have cranked it down as hard as I could, double nutted it, bought new hardware, etc. and while it fixes it for awhile, it always seems to loosen up again. There's just a lot of forced being applied there. I'm starting to think welding the bracket to the frame may be the best option. Too bad I can't weld...

Have a helper turn the wheel for you and watch the upper mount bracket when you reach steering lock each direction. You'll probably see the bracket shifting a little on the frame.

Mine does the same thing. I have the RE bracket and have cranked it down as hard as I could, double nutted it, bought new hardware, etc. and while it fixes it for awhile, it always seems to loosen up again. There's just a lot of forced being applied there. I'm starting to think welding the bracket to the frame may be the best option. Too bad I can't weld...

Have a helper turn the wheel for you and watch the upper mount bracket when you reach steering lock each direction. You'll probably see the bracket shifting a little on the frame.

RE sells a brace that you might consider. I run it and it tightens up things considerably. Then again I never really had a problem with the stock mount coming loose. Mine did fail completely though and I had to order another one.

Broken mount:
http://www.fivezerofive.com/main/index.php?itemid=1293

New mount+brace:
http://www.fivezerofive.com/main/index.php?itemid=1318&catid=7

I don't know why everyone thinks Rustys is junk. I just switched my T/B from Rustys to Rough Country and the Rustys is much more heavy duty. The tie-rod ends are Moog so they should be decent. The popping you here is probably the end moving within itself. I know since thats what mine did. If it was mine I would just get there stronger upper mount.

I only advise against Rusty's crap cause my "heavy duty" trac bar broke pulling into a gas station. but this isn't another rusty's vs the world thread, so enough on that.

any word from the OP on whats been found out so far?

Loctite it.

Well yeah, thought that was a given. Just didn't mention it. Figured double nutting was stronger than the loctite I was using anyways.

RE sells a brace that you might consider. I run it and it tightens up things considerably. Then again I never really had a problem with the stock mount coming loose. Mine did fail completely though and I had to order another one.

Didn't realize that existed. I'll check into it. Thanks!

OP, have you figured out the source of your pop?

Back