• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carpet replacement options?

GoSlowGetStuck

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Tore out my carpet a few months back and put down bedliner (only in the front half, before the rear bench - it's a 2 door btw). I liked the ruggedness of it so I ended up throwing the carpet out. Also tore out the headliner and tossed that, and removed all of the top-half trim pieces.

Damn, it's loud. And cold. Found a headliner in the boneyard today, from another 89 XJ that was in surprisingly good shape. It has extra holes for the fancier options, but nonetheless I think it will work fine. I am also putting the old trim pieces back in.

What's a good route to take for the carpet? All of the XJs at the boneyard had carpet that was soiled pretty bad, either with vehicle fluids or just water, but they were all nasty.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...-10101/N-111+1989+200004010+600006840/c-10108

I'm looking at the vinyl covers just for an extra layer of protection, but $200 is kind of hard to swallow. Would the vinyl flooring provide the noise dampening that the original carpet did? Would I be better off with some combo of carpet padding and the vinyl, or just going with cut-to-fit carpet, or finding someone's extra living room carpet and cutting it as necessary (bearing in mind that I have no idea what I'm doing)?

I can't comment directly about XJ carpet but when I built another car the loss of the carpet was a BIG difference in noise. I ended up re-installing the sound insulation and the carpet as nothing else would help knock the sound down. For noise Dynamat, carpet, and fabric (headliner and upholstry) are your friends.

Back