• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.38 vs 5.13 strength comparision

I dunno but here's my 5.13s...
standard.jpg

:anon:

I don't think the ring gear would be in question it's the pinion that would be smaller and be more prone to stripping teeth. I have no first hand experience in the 5.38 vs. 5.13 in a D44. But I would think the 5.38's would be weaker, but how much I do not know.

looks familiar

heres 5.38
IMG_2308.jpg

chipped in a few spots, but no damage to ring and pinion oddly enough.

they were yukons

I would love to see the pattern for both those pics (with marking compound). They both look like they've taken the outside of the tooth off in a manner usually indicitave of poor pattern and backlash (the witness marks on the carrier from the pinion would tend to support this).

What do you mean by no damage to the ring? Isn't the ring the ring gear?

-Alex

ah, i meant just pinion.

as for install error, it wasn't done by me, but dana44 ox lockers require special carrier bearings and the shims need to be installed on the outside of the bearings. maybe the both of us used a lazy installer for our gears and he got fed up trying to juggle the shims with the heavyass locker. it lasted me about 7 months of wheeling/daily driving

forgot to add it was with 33 spline alloys. so i kinda switched the weak link of my rearend to the gears.

...but dana44 ox lockers require special carrier bearings and the shims need to be installed on the outside of the bearings.

Not mine. That OX carrier has been in there since 2002.

My failure was due to a severely bent axle housing, when the 5.13s were installed the pattern was perfect.

Not mine. That OX carrier has been in there since 2002.

My failure was due to a severely bent axle housing, when the 5.13s were installed the pattern was perfect.

forgot to mention it was 33 spline

Back