• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you running as your front driveshaft?

w0mps

NAXJA Forum User
I am running a WJ front driveshaft in the rear of my XJ, and have no shaft up front now. I am trying to decide what will suit as a front shaft? I am lifted 4.5" but sitting around 6". Just wondering what you guys are running up front. Does the stock front shaft work just fine, or is it too short?

I agree,it will depend on what suspension your running.

I have a low pinion D30 and about 6" of lift. For the longest time I ran a stock driveshaft with no problems. I now have custom Tattons driveshafts front and rear.

re4.5, drop brackets, extra coil isolator, hp30, with stock shaft. Perfect fit

I've had a stock xj front shaft with 6" tomken lift in my 87 HP30 for seventeen years, in the front. My new 2000, with same HP30 and 44 rear out of my 87,used front factory shaft for rear also(with flange addaptor for RE SYE hack n tap.The key, I believe, is the 44 and auto enabling a short shaft.both have 242 t-case.My 2000 I bought had a bent t-case tail shaft so more work to come.still vibrates at 55mph or higher.I saw the runnout when doing the "HACK"part of the SYE.My 87 did not even need a SYE.:doh:That was my goal to use only front shafts,$15 each at junk yard.I had picked up a front shaft out of an XJ with a larger dim. slip yoke but it has a different cardan joint than factory so will have to track down the right flange addaptor for RE SYE and will use as my main rear driveshaft.My two cents

I am on 6.5" clayton long arm, and run a woods shaft in the rear. I have been running the stock front XJ shaft up front with no problems, but just picked up a woods shaft for the front as well. I will keep the old stocker for a front/rear spare.

RE 5.5 with drop brackets here. Stock XJ front shafts in both ends.

Tom Woods, heavy duty, long travel cv, high angle certain, 2 tom woods u-joint in the cardin, and a cheap spicer u-joint at the yoke for a weak link.

I had a self inflicted problem with mine, sent it to tom woods, and in less than a week it was back under the XJ ready to rock. Gotta love that!

[and a cheap spicer u-joint at the yoke for a weak link.

This doesn't work. I have two Spicer 1310's in my front driveshaft, and I've blown up two 4340 35-spline Dana 60 stubs, one Dana 60 Detroit, a bunch of stock 60 stuff... :( With a stock Dana 300 output shaft too, and only 4.56 in the axle, no less.

But in regards to the driveshaft itself: a stock XJ front shaft has an inside diameter of 1.75". I cut the ends off and sleeved it over a section of 1.75" DOM to make it the right length. It winds up being pretty damn straight if you leave a couple inches to sleeve it with, and it takes a good amount of heavy hammering to fit the pieces together.

The material itself is 1.75" x .25 wall DOM. It's pretty much indestructible.

As I said, I run a single 1310 joint on each end...I needed more angle than a CV would allow, and with a low pinion axle the angles at ride height work out better anyway as the yokes are parallel instead of pointing at each other (like you'd need with a CV).

Back