• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my 87 xj wont shut off

Captainhswh

NAXJA Forum User
i had to pull the engine out to replace a piston and i got it all back together and it runs and everything but it wont shut off. we pulled the ignition switch and tested it and it seems to be working fine. the truck has a constant power to everything as soon as i plug the battery in. so when i start it the only way i can shut it off is to pull the coil wire i just got the jeep and as soon as i did the piston went on me i dont have alot of money and i really wanna drive this thing again so any help you can give me would be great

If you hooked everything back up as it originally was, I suspect the starter relay is bad and feeding battery power to the ignition system.
:eyes:

Hard to say. You either have connected something incorrectly, or pinched/crushed a wire bundle and are now shorting something out.

Go back and look around the engine mounts. Then try disconnecting the IGN switch and see if you still have power.

we disconnected the ignition switch and some lil relay box next to the battery has constant power to everything can some one tell me what that is?

the silver box near the battery is what everyone is telling you may be bad, its the starter relay. but, i dont think it should have power until the key is turned.

thank you guys ill have that tested and see what happens i still think its something else in the wiring after that though because when i got it the acc. wouldnt turn off and he told me he did something to the ignition

Since you pulled the ignition switch, it is likely it needs adjusting. Too far up or down the column and something will not work properly. Loosen the screws and move it a bit.

The starter relay should only be sending power to the starter. It should have nothing to do with the ignition.
It's set up to provide power to the ignition and the fuel pump when cranking. It's set up this way because if it wasn't, then the starter would draw too many amps from the ignition and fuel pump and the engine would be very hard to start. Although I have not heard of this problem on and XJ, I suppose theoretically it is possible. Find one from a JY.

no the ignition switch is fine ive been starting the truck with an allen wrench. i found the starter relay at shucks for 67$ but its for an 88 and my jeep is an 87

just to be clear, when you start it with an allen wrench, your turning the key cylinder. the ignition switch is at the base/bottom of the steering column under the dash.

It's set up to provide power to the ignition and the fuel pump when cranking. It's set up this way because if it wasn't, then the starter would draw too many amps from the ignition and fuel pump and the engine would be very hard to start. Although I have not heard of this problem on and XJ, I suppose theoretically it is possible. Find one from a JY.

But if you pull out the starter relay while the engine is running, it won't stop. And if the relay was stuck on, the starter motor would be constantly engaged.

Last edited:
But if you pull out the starter relay while the engine is running, it won't stop. And if the relay was stuck on, the starter motor would be constantly engaged.

Yes, if you pull the relay it won't stop. This is because the power that is keeping it running is being provided to keep it running is from the ignition switch. I am talking about a failing part that is not working normally. Again, I have not seen this particular failure, but in theory if there was power backfeeding from the main post into the ignition terminal on the relay due to whatever reason, this would still provide power to the ignition regardless of key position. And the starter would be constantly engaged under a specific failure of the relay being stuck, not the same type of failure that would cause the engine to not shut off.

If you can "pull" the starter relay, then you are not "pulling" the starter relay.

The starter relay is bolted to the body. The main hot lead from the battery is attached with a nut, and there should be three other slip-on attachment connections.

Again, you probably don't have the starter relay.

If you can "pull" the starter relay, then you are not "pulling" the starter relay.

The starter relay is bolted to the body. The main hot lead from the battery is attached with a nut, and there should be three other slip-on attachment connections.

Again, you probably don't have the starter relay.

Not sure about earlier years, but my 2000 has an ISO starter relay in the Power Distribution Center which activates the solenoid on the starter.

Not sure about earlier years, but my 2000 has an ISO starter relay in the Power Distribution Center which activates the solenoid on the starter.

the starter relay on my 89 is mounted to a bracket that is bolted to the fender and has about 8 wires connected to it. im with joe on this one, no way to just pull it while its running.

Back