• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help quick

cmr314

NAXJA Forum User
I'm tring to change out the transmission lines on my '98 XJ. I bought the proper 3/8" fuel line dissconnect tool, and have sprayed down the fittings, as was recommended. Problem is, I can't get the stupid fittings to relase the line. Any advice here, as I really do not want to have to pay somebody to do this for me.

dunno on a 98 but on my 95 you just squeeze the tabs on the outside of the plastic, it doesnt spread the inner part of the plastic clip like a fuel line. you should be able to see tabs of plastic sticking out of the connector... squeeze them in, push in a little bit so they can disengage, then pull it out.

its kind of a pain but i didnt need any special tools :dunno:

Hallo Jeeper. Why not just cut the lines and use hoses and clamp them with
hoseclamps. Absolutely leak free! :laugh3:

X2, I've done this to all 5 of our XJ's, those stock QD lines bring the suck, cost too much and will always leak!

Just use some 3/8 I.D. tranny cooler hose(I like Gates brand the best) and using a tubing cutter, cut the hard lines with enough left to slip at least 2" of hose on. I use fuel injection hose clamps(2 at each connection), they hold tighter and will not cut the outer rubber of the hose.

At the lower connection on the radiator it will take some effort but slide the hose over the QD rib that goes around the nipple. I put a clamp on both sides of the ring. Use some alchohol to help slide the hose over that rib or ring.

Quote:fuel injection hose clamps(2 at each connection),

Thanks Xjtrailrider. The pressure on the lines are so low , I used only one clamp at each connection. In expensive times like these, you have to watch your budget.:laugh3:

Back