• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie rod end at pitman arm question

mbogosia

NAXJA Forum User
Mine looks pretty rough. It has lost all its grease or most of it due to a puncture in the rubber boot. I have noticed after adding an inch to my lift that I have a slight shake around 50mph. I checked my alignment and it is pretty close. Anyways, can a bad rod end at the pitman arm cause any shaking? If not should I even bother replacing it?

absolutely-- any lateral or vertical play can allow the wheels to shake.

Change everything and get an alignment. It's only then, that you should begin chasing vibrations for other causes. Often times, when you lift something, the rod ends will seem good and tight, but it can be a temporary result of operating them at a different angle (where there is little wear) and they will deteriorate quickly. To do it once and do it right, I'd change all the joints and then align it at a shop.

That was the TRE giving me a slight shake.

If you change it out, measure the center-to-center distance from one TRE to the other, AND count the turns it takes to remove the tre from the draglink. Then install the new one with the same turns and confirm with the measurement. That should put you back on your existing alignment.

Good tips. I have the tie rod end, so I need to go out and do it. I was just worried this would be a part that I replace and I could have just used my old sloppy one for 2 more years. Sounds like it is as important as the other tie rod ends.

You should replace it to reduce steering wheel play, but I doubt it will change any vibrations. Lay underneath while someone turns the steering wheel back and forth and you can see if you have play now.

The only wheel alignment that can be set on Xj's is the toe-in. You can set that yourself with two yardsticks held together to measure. Shoot for 1/16" toe in. I think spec is 0-1/8", but you don't want toe-out.

Well I replaced 3 tie rod ends and took it in for an alignmnet. It had 1.39 total toe before and is now set at .23. It feels really tight and the vibration has disappeared.

Back