• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PWR Steering lines: junkyard or souce new?

xcm

NAXJA Forum User
Wanted socal's opinion on this; i got a power steering fluid leak, a pretty significant one. I havent been able to take a look while someone else turned the wheel, but im expecting a cut in a line... or possibly a torn o-ring??

any recommendations, or sources for a new line?
obviously, the junkyard will have one readily available, but i wouldnt mind buying new if someone has a source for new??

needs to be running monday (not really!, but i'd like to take care of it today (sunday))

socal for the win!

Not SoCal, but the times I've needed the lines, I've been able to walk into the local and pick them up. NEW.

Power steering supply pressure runs about 1300psig or so - don't take the chance. It's just not worth it...

Be sure to get flare nut wrenches to grab onto those flare nuts - they're soft and round off easily. Also, service both hoses at once.

should i avoid autozoning the replacement lines?

and, on the flare wrenchs, happen to know the size?
youve convinced me a sear's trip is needed =\
THANKS!

AZ probably carries Edelman - they're the big PS supplier. Either Edelman or Weatherhead will serve you well.

Sadly, I don't - and I can't go pick out the wrenches because I have full sets of SAE and ISO from when I was doing the "industrial mechanic" thing, with loads of wear on them. I do know they're ISO, and they're probably 16m/m and 18m/m (at a quick guess.) At least, I think that's what they are on the RENIX. That could also be the nominal size of the fittings proper, come to think on it. Check before you buy, or just the the whole set. I know it wasn't anything exotic.

Go get the lines first, then get the wrenches. (Duh!) The flare nuts on the new lines will be the same size as the ones on the old lines - they're standard goodies. Take your pick on whether to get combi flare nut wrenches or crowfoot wrenches - I've used both. Crow-foot is slightly easier, but I just prefer using standard combi wrenches...

I don't recall which one, but I know that there's one line that you'd have to remove both lines from the box to get to. Buggardly, I know.

What year? I may want to talk you out of that metal bit on the pressure line, where it goes into the pump (don't care about the lower ones - it's just that upper one that is a little strange...)

I know 5-90 already said this but just buy new. They are like $17 new and worth every penny. I got some used ones on one time to find out they leaked and ended up buying 2 new ones anyway, haha

pressure side cost me about 22$, i looked at the picture autozone had of the lower (non pressure return line), and it looked like a peice of 3/8ths hose, so i didnt buy that one...

pressure side cost me about 22$, i looked at the picture autozone had of the lower (non pressure return line), and it looked like a peice of 3/8ths hose, so i didnt buy that one...

On RENIX, you can use 3/8" power steering line (bulk) and that's fine. You'll probably have to cut the crimped end off of the box fitting, but it's a hose barb at the pump.

Yes, buying it in bulk will be cheaper than buying it in the box already cut, oddly enough... Make sure to get power steering hose - while pressure is residual in the return line, fuel line will erode from the inside and delaminate in about a month.

I just replaced a pressure hose today too. I'd been chasing a leak for weeks now. Thought the pump or box was leaking. Thank goodness it was an inexpensive fix.

Back