• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 MJ for sale near me, what am I looking at?

knifeboy2

NAXJA Forum User
There's an '89 MJ for sale at a used car lot near me. Its not often I see these and I like em. Since today was a holiday I couldn't pop the hood but I'm wondering about what its most likely got.

My guess is as follows....
4.0 non-HO engine
AX-15
Dana 35 rear, maybe Dana 44

Its only 2wd so no transfer case. I know in '89 they did some switching from the BA-10/5 to the AX-15. Was it done based on the engine choice or just a mid year switch? If I'm correct the BA-10/5 has the 'seam' going down the center whereas the AX-15 is along the top? It was too dark to tell what axle it has but I noticed it had a trailer ball mounted on the rear. I'll look again in the morning.

This thing was very clean minus a dent in the bed. Writing on the window said low miles but I couldn't read the odometer. There didn't seem to be any body rust whatsoever, including in the bed. The lot was asking $2,400.

Am I missing anything here? I wish it were 4wd, but it doesn't appear to be that hard to convert. So what do ya'll say?

Edit, I forgot to mention that I also believe its a Pioneer whatever that means. What does that mean?

Last edited:
'89 was the transition year from the BA 10/5 to the AX-15. These were used behind the 4.0L -- it is not a question of what engine, it's a question of whether it was built early in the year or late in the year.

However, don't forget that it could be a 4-cylinder, especially if it's 2WD.

I don't know how prices run in your area. Suggest you get the specifics on drive train and then run it through www.edmunds.com to get an objective opinion on price. $2400 for an '89 2WD MJ sounds a bit on the high side to me.

Next time you can get there and crawl underneath:
25652991.jpg

If you're going to convert it to 4wd, then it doesn't really matter if it has the Peugeot or Aisin tranny.
Oh, and the Pioneer was a mid-level trim package.
Jeep on!
--Pete

I went to look at it today and its only got the 4 cyl. I don't mind a tranny/transfer case swap but I'm not gonna do an engine swap. I was also a little skeptical of the lot selling it so I walked away. Some day I'll find one I like.

If you're lookin for an MJ, check at the Comanche Yahoo group. There's always a couple for sale and rumor has it that Aslith (the list founder) may be selling his pride and joy! =:-o This is his MJ by the way:
33133124.jpg

Also, it pays to keep tabs on eBay too.
Jeep on!
--Pete

I'll be moving to the St. Louis, MO area within a couple of months, and I am thinking about selling my '87 MJ longbed. If you are interested, e-mail or PM me and I can send you the details.

Back