• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yakima rack round bars...make your own?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So I picked up a set of free ski racks at work (new Yakima ones) and some gutter mounts on craigslist for $30, and at my work I might get a set for free (wasn't sure so bought some just in case, and I work at a Yakima dealer)...question is, I really don't feel like spending as much or more money on just the bars as I did for the gutter mounts. It hit me that since they are just round, I should be able to buy some metal or aluminum pipes to fit, right? Has anyone ever made bars for their Yakima racks? Is it very cost effective (A.K.A. Will I gain anything by getting yakima ones versus buying something and modding it)?

I don't know much about buying metal tubes or pipes, so sorry if it sounds stupid. Anyone know what size pipe they take?

I only plan on using the rack during the ski season for my ski racks, and eventually I want to get an Olympic 4x4 rack.

~Scott

Last edited:
I used some schedule 80 metal pipe but I forget the OD because the Yakima Crossbars suck and bend if you have a spare on a roof rack. I have 4 cossbars and its a lot more stout than with the Yakima crossbars.

I would recommend taking that aluminum part off that the crossbar mounts through and go to your local steel supplier and just get something that fits.

Hmm so get some steel...alright. What should I do as far as painting them goes?

~Scott

The Yakima bars are steel I believe, and coated with a rubber/vinyl coating. I believe they are rated at 150lbs per bar. Last I remember they are the strongest aftermarket bar available.

There is no reason that you couldn't get some pipe from your local hardware store that has a similar OD to match the ID of your ski rack clamps (what holds the ski rack to the bars). You may find that you have to modify the thickness of the pipe you can find at the hardware store to make this work which you might be able to do with tape or variouse other similar solutions.

If you are a dealer you should be able to get a reasonable deal on the bars either from your store or better yet on a proform?

Also they are on Craigslist all day long also.

Yes, paint would work fine, but won't hold up as well as the plasticoat that comes on the Yakima bars.

I you price the pipe from the local store, time to modify them, material to modify them, paint to paint them, the bars from Yakima at your discount will be a much better solution. CL would probably be cheaper if you find them reasonably close to you.

Michael

Thanks Michael, I looked into the pipe idea a little more, found the cost of pipe and paint alone (I only have flat black paint right now) would be more then ordering some bars through work...looks like I'll have to wait a few weeks to get them now. :-/

~Scott

I have Yakima bars. Don't worry about the inside, they rust anyway. They also form some kind of weird, powdery white-substance on the inside. Let us know what you come up with. Yakima stuff is expensive. I'm going to need two more bars in the next few months if I order my rooftop tent. It would be nice to cut costs if possible. Also, you might want to look into the end caps to help keep out water and other things. http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima-8007026.html

Back