• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this connector called?

GoSlowGetStuck

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I've been running a super-fast toggle switch and push-button ignition setup since I got my XJ, because the lock cylinder was all jacked. (I couldn't turn the key to "off" after it was running!) Turns out it was the Renix "brown wire" issue, so I picked up a new ignition switch and would like to make the key on the column work again. Unfortunately I cut off the old plastic ignition switch connector, and now I need to re-use it, which means I need some of these:

IMG_1880.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

IMG_1881.jpg

Local auto stores are befuddled at what this might be. What is it called, and even better, where can I get some?

Rock Auto, electrical, blade connectoer DORMAN Part # 85550
MoreInfo.gif
{Gauge 22-18 Ga. Color Red .250" Female Female}

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

click on EXTRAS, Electrical, connectors

Tried to cut and paste the picture but couldn't make it work. It's not exactly the same, but will work fine. Didn't the auto parts store have a rack with electrical connectors to look at? These are very common.

Last edited:
I have found those locally, but it doesn't look like they have the locking mechanism to keep them inside of the wiring harness. I'm worried that using a normal female blade connector like that might come loose while I'm driving - bad news.

I guess I could crimp all five wires on to connectors like that and stick them on to the ignition switch, and throw out the blue plug all together. Still worried about the wires coming off though.

I have found those locally, but it doesn't look like they have the locking mechanism to keep them inside of the wiring harness. I'm worried that using a normal female blade connector like that might come loose while I'm driving - bad news.

I guess I could crimp all five wires on to connectors like that and stick them on to the ignition switch, and throw out the blue plug all together. Still worried about the wires coming off though.

Yah, it's a common blade connector, you can pick them up in hardware stores in a number of wire sizes. The lock just makes sure it can't back out, but in all fairness, you shouldn't have a problem as long as you put some sort of strain relief on the wires.

MY ign switch fried and took part of the connector with it. I simply clean it up as best as I could and removed any melted sections. Then I crimped the blade terminals on and pushed them individually onto their proper pair. Been fine for years now.

Ok, I tore apart the steering column and got the ignition switch out. I stuck a screwdriver in the slot, and it slides easily, just as easy as the new one I bought. So, I thought I had the Renix brown wire issue, but apparently not. The lock cylinder is still stuck in "ON"... I can turn to "START" but can not turn backwards to OFF, LOCK, or ACC.

This is almost positively the lock cylinder at fault then, correct? It looks like a PITA to get to and I don't have any experience tearing into the upper part of the steering column. I will need a steering wheel puller AND a lock plate remover, correct? Is there anything other than the lock cylinder (or the ignition switch) which could be causing these problems? It is a tilt wheel.

Back