• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Twin Motor Warn 8274

joe_peters

NAXJA Forum User
I wonder how the rest of the winch will hold up under all that HP and TQ.

A lot of the Land Rover owners in the UK are starting to compete in Winch Challenge events where they seem to put more emphasis on using the winch than driving. I guess they have to use the winch as driving a Land Rover offroad would involve snapping at least one axleshaft.

Well they don't want to scratch their pretty Land Rovers. Nancies! :doh:

A lot of the Land Rover owners in the UK are starting to compete in Winch Challenge events where they seem to put more emphasis on using the winch than driving. I guess they have to use the winch as driving a Land Rover offroad would involve snapping at least one axleshaft.

Wow this thread is getting more lame with each post. I was hoping to learn more about this winch mod. We all know that the stock rover axles can't compare to the brute strength of the D30 and D35. Also, if you look at long standing events like the Camel Trophy, you'd know that recovery tools like shovels, sand ladders, and winches are just as critical as the rest of the vehicle. Having a new contest like a winch contest is no different than the the creation of a rock crawling event.

The contests themselves are pretty good. They don't take up much space, often on privately owned, rented land and guaranteed to have loads of mud.

Years ago in England I used to be the only Jeep driver at Land Rover events. The situation has changed a bit since then. Jeeps are still massively outnumbered but it's not uncommon to see at least one entered. My XJ was running D30/D35 axles on 33's and surprisingly I never broke an axle, for some of the Rover boys it was a regular thing.

I didn't have a winch back then so I learned to drive by reading the terrain. I got stuck now and then but on the whole I kept my Jeep moving when others were happy enough to give up and set up their winch rigging.

The two motor winch just makes me smile that the Land Rover guys have given up dreaming of strong axles and making performance recovery equipment instead. Honestly, you have to drive with them to appreciate the funny side.

Wow this thread is getting more lame with each post. I was hoping to learn more about this winch mod. We all know that the stock rover axles can't compare to the brute strength of the D30 and D35. Also, if you look at long standing events like the Camel Trophy, you'd know that recovery tools like shovels, sand ladders, and winches are just as critical as the rest of the vehicle. Having a new contest like a winch contest is no different than the the creation of a rock crawling event.

A winch with 2 motors is worthless for what i do. It adds unnecessary weight and draws too much current. I have no winch right now but hopefully next month i'll be ordering a detours backbone along with an Optima red top and a Smittybilt XRC8. That's plenty for a vehicle that is only wheeled every other month or so. Its my DD first and foremost. Why should i add a bunch of weight when i can just learn to drive it better! :dunno:

If a D30/D35 combo is considered a brute strength setup those rover axles must be absolute Junk! :D

A winch with 2 motors is worthless for what i do. It adds unnecessary weight and draws too much current. :D

just a thought, but wouldn't 2 motors working together use less current draw to move the same weight? since neither has to work as hard as one alone would, I really have no facts to base this on, just a thought I'm having.
as for added weight an 8274 is heavier than a normal winch anyway, I'm guessing someone who runs one is ok with the added weight of the 2nd motor.

bottom line, we will NOT be making you run one anytime soon. thats not to say we won't make you in the future, but for now your safe.

just a thought, but wouldn't 2 motors working together use less current draw to move the same weight? since neither has to work as hard as one alone would, I really have no facts to base this on, just a thought I'm having.
as for added weight an 8274 is heavier than a normal winch anyway, I'm guessing someone who runs one is ok with the added weight of the 2nd motor.

bottom line, we will NOT be making you run one anytime soon. thats not to say we won't make you in the future, but for now your safe.

I believe that you are right about the battery drain (see below). I agree that this winch would be so ridicously heavy and bulky for that matter. I think it's pretty cool though. It would be a nice setup on a Unimog. It looks like Quaife either had a hand in the GigglePin design, or sells their products. Quaife is a very reputable company that builds stout stuff.

http://www.quaife.co.uk/Commercial
TWIN-MOTOR TOP HOUSING FOR WARN 8274 WINCH

This system has been developed to maximise the Warn 8274 potential. Using the excellent 6HP Warn XP motors for 12v applications, or the rugged Bowmotor for 24v applications, this system gives you the power, strength and reliability you need.

In short the Advantages of the Twin Motor Top Housing are:
• Twice the power, twice the speed
• Decreased motor effort, saving motors and batteries
• Superior design and material grades eliminating breakage
• Sustained line rate on hard pulls
• Higher maximum load capacity

Also available:
• Uprated Warn 8274 mainshaft kit for use with or withoutTwin-Motor top housing
• Various ratio options for Twin-Motor top housing for different applications.

IMG_1909---Gigglepin78099.jpg

Yeah i didn't account for the weight thing and the amp draw oops!

I'm just saying i don't need a massive winch on my DD rig! Sorry if i got you guys all bent out of shape i was just giving you my .02 that's all!

Back