• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiring up LED STOP TURN TAIL For light boxes Thor guards (w/pics)

Hammered

NAXJA Forum User
For some reason this was not easy to get any solid info about so...

Heres my offering to anyone that wants or plans to do this.

FIRST - get a TOW READY brand Tail light converter. You can get these from E trailer.com or save yourself some money and find them on ebay. So it seems there are a few versions of this with the same basic outcome. I bought the Tow Ready #119130. there are some others that will do the same thing. (So I am told TOW READY aka draw tite / Hidden Hitch / Reese is the only one that will function) I chose to get two (one for each side) YOU DONT HAVE TO DO THAT, I did... because I didnt want to route wires over or under... around etc. Just made my life easier.

SECOND - If possible, go to your local Junk yard & get the tail light wires out of your same vehicle type. on my 97 XJ it was from the bulbs about a foot long to a white factory connector. Unplug and take them. This will save you a little time & effort later on. PLUS* This way, if you run into some problems you can plug your old stuff back together and theres no worries.

...Other than that its all fairly self explanitory, because your tail light bulb harness and the TOW READY tell you what wire is what. From there its just connecting wires. I chose to do Heat shrink butt connectors and heat shrink Tube.

P1105057.jpg

P1105061.jpg

Chrysler was nice enough to color code Stop / RED - Turn / Orange - Backup / White

P1105067.jpg

P1105068.jpg

You will notice I didnt use the green wires. In my case I bought two Trailer Harnesses, so the Green turn signal wire for the passnger side wasnt needed.
I did both this way. Keeping things simple.

P1105069.jpg

You might choose to cut down the wires so your set up is not 10 feet long. I just left the wire, coiled it up in case I want to cut it and re do it some day (different LEDs... whatever)

Ok so this isnt some Technical wizardry, Nor a wonderful write up. However, I had a heck of a time trying to pin down the trick to doing this PROPERLY. So there ya have it. Maybe this will come in handy for some other NAXJA feller.

Last edited:
Some local truck shop... they deal mainly with 18 wheelers. I found they were cheaper than ebay (I seem to buy everything on ebay that I dont get off Craigslist or the Junk yard)... But you can get the same thing locally to you I bet. Do a local dealer search for GROTE or Truck Lite dealers.

where'd you get the thor guards, im trying to get me some.

They are made in Washington, so go into the Pacific North West for sale section once in awhile and search for a thor4x4 for sale thread. Currently there is talk of another order, coming up, so get in there ASAP...these things take awhile to get even once ordered, so make sure you stay on track with the next order.

~Scott

P.S. I picked mine up used off another NAXJA member.

where did you get your lights at?

where'd you get the thor guards, im trying to get me some.

They are made in Washington, so go into the Pacific North West for sale section once in awhile and search for a thor4x4 for sale thread. Currently there is talk of another order, coming up, so get in there ASAP...these things take awhile to get even once ordered, so make sure you stay on track with the next order.

~Scott

P.S. I picked mine up used off another NAXJA member.

The PM feature works great too. :D

I used 2 lights and used a diode inline so my LED's wouldn't back feed. I think like the OP if you use one you would need the converter. Mine was all home brewed.

DSCF0015.jpg

IIR, the xj's have a thermal flasher. all you need to do is buy an electronic one from the parts store and swap 'em out.

Ditto on the flasher, it works great.

I think it only appears as a gray area since there are so many ways you can accomplish each task.

In the end after all the confusion on mine it really wasn't hard at all, I've even put LED's in the front now (also easy on the 96-).

IMG_4404.jpg

hey guys, sorry to bump an older thread, but i am having difficulty wiring up the passenger side of my lights.

I am using only one tow-ready setup. how do i go about doing this?

hey guys, sorry to bump an older thread, but i am having difficulty wiring up the passenger side of my lights.

I am using only one tow-ready setup. how do i go about doing this?

There is a "Left Turn/Stop" and a "Right Turn/Stop" on the tow ready box. Those wires just go to their respective places. Run the "Right Turn/Stop" under the trim in the cargo area and to the light.

thanks hale i figured it out. i had the "go to trailer" and go to "tow vehicle" for the right turn signal mixed up...thanks!

Back