• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alignment question

88 Wagonman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 88 XJ NP242 w/ 2" lift and 30x9.50x15 tires and I need help with my alignment. I have yet to find a good alignment shop (the last shop made it wander and also used a pipe wrench) and would rather make the adjustments myself, particularly the toe adjustment. I have read the DIY alignment write-up and it is not year specific and also says that is matters what transfer case you have. I downloaded a manual that is supposed to be the FSM (don't know how authentic it is) and it makes no mention of differences due to transfer cases. Also, should the measurements be different with 30" tires? I am not having any problems with DW or vibes, it just doesn't want to track straight and it's not picky on which way it wants to wander. If it does make a difference with the transfer case, why? Is it because of the difference between disco and non-disco axles or something else? My manual says it should be:

Toe-In in Inches (Fraction) .............. 1/32 to 1/32
Toe-In in Inches (Decimal) ............. 0.031 to 0.031
Toe-In in Degrees (Fraction) ............. 1/16 to 1/16
Toe-In in Degrees (Decimal) ............ 0.063 to 0.063
Toe-Out on Turns
Inner .......................................... NS
Outer .......................................... NS

Can anyone verify this information?

Toe in should be zero to 1/16 toe in.

You can set it!!
Nick

Most of the time a rear wheel drive should be set for toe in. So that when the car is driven, the tires are relatively straight. The book says it would like 0 toe, but when you don't give the car direction (0 toe), it decides if it will go right or left after a bump. What you would like is a little toe in.

Thanks for the responses. I'll give it a little toe in tomorrow.:cheers:

I checked it this morning and found out that I have about 1/8" of tow out. Tried to adjust it but it's pretty stuck. I'll have to let some PB blaster soak for a while before round 2. This is why I don't usually let anyone but me touch my jeep because I doubt that they were able to turn it 3 months ago and now it just happens to be out of adjustment and stuck.

Back