• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no brake lights or hazards.

madrabbitt

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. Heres the issue. My brake lights dont work. During troubleshooting, i also found out my hazards do not work either.
I'm positive my brake lights were functional the night before i noticed the problem, (someone behind me told me) and i'm positive that nothing electrical was touched or messed with before they went out.

91 xj, 4.0
Both bulbs have 2 good filiments. Grounds are shared with taillights and those are fine so the ground is good. No corrosion noted at all.
All three lights are out, both sides and the aftermarket one wired to the left side.
All other lights work. Tail, sidemarker, turn. Inside dome lights and gauge lights work as well. Dimmer works properly.
Hazards do not flash. Turn signals DO flash
I checked in the manual and found that the hazards and stop lamps share a common 15 amp fuse in the underhood PDC. Checked that fuse and its good. Replaced it anyway.

Checked the wiring harness leading to the brake switch and its all plugged in, or at least it all appears to be plugged in.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on what to try next.

This is not a very good situation here...
frown.gif

I dont know. Its on my list of things to check.
I need to get it into a better parking space to get down there, and figure out which wire in the harness is power in. I havent had much chance to check things from that end. I did check to see if the plunger is still there (it is) and it was clicking like normal.

Know the info i need off hand?
Cant find my repair manual

Just got done dealing with this on my Jeep. Turned out to be a bum brake light switch.... The switch is removed from the mount by simply twisting it. Got a replacement at the dealer...set me back $32... but the fix was easy and all my brake lights work.

Mike
00XJ

were your hazards out as well?

I'm likely going to take the switch out and see if its something i can figure out how to test.

I know the hazard circut and the brake lamp circut are interconnected to a point, so that could point me in the right direction

Back