• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

East coast guy in a west coast world.

vetteboy

NAXJA Forum User
So I'll be out in yer neck of the woods for the King of the Hammers race. I'm spending Wednesday night through Sunday night in an RV on the lakebed.

Thus ends my knowledge of JV. How much stuff do we need to pick up prior to living on the lakebed for 5 days? Are there any stores within a reasonable drive to get groceries, beer, ice, etc or should we plan for a full 5 days of self-sufficiency?

There's also about a 75% possibility that I'll have my XJ out there as well during that time, with the intention of helping out on thursday and friday, and wheeling on saturday and sunday. I'd enjoy wheeling with some NAXJA folks while I'm out there, so if you see my rig running around, point me in the right direction. :D

Lots of us will be at KOH man. What kind of trails you wanna run?

As for provisions - Nearest big grocery store is Stator Bros. in Yucca Valley about 30 minutes out.

Stores, gas, etc. about 20-30 minutes from lakebed depending on your driving style. You take out EVERYTHING that you bring in. Poop included.

Lots of us will be at KOH man. What kind of trails you wanna run?

As for provisions - Nearest big grocery store is Stator Bros. in Yucca Valley about 30 minutes out.

What do I wanna run? Provided my rig holds up to a few days of bitch work, which it should...I wanna get into the guts of the place. I'll be on 38's+, locked, fully exo'd, body damage acceptable. I'm only gonna be out there 5 days but I wanna get as much of the JV experience as possible, and especially since I'm not driving the XJ home, I'd like to get on the trails that have made that place the legend that it is.

corbinafly said:
Stores, gas, etc. about 20-30 minutes from lakebed depending on your driving style. You take out EVERYTHING that you bring in. Poop included.

That's not so bad. I've been following the few threads on Pirate regarding sewage pumping etc. I'm more wondering about meals for each day, cooking dinner, that sort of stuff...for 5 days on the lakebed, how much should we bring along, vs. how much should we plan on scouting for. Obviously it's gonna be a tradeoff between the amount of ice in the cooler vs. the amount of food we want...but given that it's gonna be 5 guys in this RV, all flying out, we're not gonna have much in the way of cooler space.

What do I wanna run? Provided my rig holds up to a few days of bitch work, which it should...I wanna get into the guts of the place. I'll be on 38's+, locked, fully exo'd, body damage acceptable. I'm only gonna be out there 5 days but I wanna get as much of the JV experience as possible, and especially since I'm not driving the XJ home, I'd like to get on the trails that have made that place the legend that it is.

That's not so bad. I've been following the few threads on Pirate regarding sewage pumping etc. I'm more wondering about meals for each day, cooking dinner, that sort of stuff...for 5 days on the lakebed, how much should we bring along, vs. how much should we plan on scouting for. Obviously it's gonna be a tradeoff between the amount of ice in the cooler vs. the amount of food we want...but given that it's gonna be 5 guys in this RV, all flying out, we're not gonna have much in the way of cooler space.

About14 miles down the highway there are good stores gas food etc. see ya there......SANTA

If you check out Google maps, the town everyone is talking about is Yucca Valley.

I hope your rig makes it out here with ya vetteboy, its one of my favorites. i'd love to see it in person!

:cheers:

I hope your rig makes it out here with ya vetteboy, its one of my favorites. i'd love to see it in person!

:cheers:

But it's at JV.

As far as I knew you were unable to form memories on the lakebed. :cheers:

Sounds like a fun road trip. It'll be interesting to hear your comparison between East / West wheeling.

Are you shipping the XJ out?

Come by for a beer & say hey.

Paul

Chris, Itll be good to meet you. Like everyone said, a run to a store isnt that far away. Stock up on cheap food and good beer :D I plan on pulling in wed or thursday(more then likely thursday) lets touch base back channel and i could probably haul in a few large bags of ice for you.

What do I wanna run?

You can hardly go wrong out there. Especially with 38's, lockers, and an exo. Especially if you plan on running Saturday after 50-100 buggies go through it at full speed.

Pick your Poison:
http://www.extremewheelers4christ.org/images/map1.jpg

The first part of big johnson and clawhammer and usually the easiest trails on that map. Maybe start with clawhammer. If that's too easy for ya, just go with anything else :D.

Sounds like a fun road trip. It'll be interesting to hear your comparison between East / West wheeling.

Paul

Post Whore!

:D

Paul

Will do. I'm flying out on Wednesday morning; if I get everything done on the XJ and have some $$ left over then I've got a buddy who will haul it out there & back for the cost of fuel, food, etc.

Chris, Itll be good to meet you. Like everyone said, a run to a store isnt that far away. Stock up on cheap food and good beer :D I plan on pulling in wed or thursday(more then likely thursday) lets touch base back channel and i could probably haul in a few large bags of ice for you.

Cool - I appreciate the offer. Once it gets closer and we start figuring out the details of cramming 5 guys in an RV for 5 days I'll let you know.

We plan on dry camping for as long as we're there, and we bring everything. In 13 years of running JV we've never run to the store, though you could if you need to. Bring what you need and hang out and have a good time. There's supposed to be RV pumping out there, but for 5 days you should be OK.

I also plan on leaving Monday, hopefully someone will still have some firewood for Sunday evening. Oh, and did you hear it gets cold out there? :D

We plan on dry camping for as long as we're there, and we bring everything. In 13 years of running JV we've never run to the store, though you could if you need to. Bring what you need and hang out and have a good time. There's supposed to be RV pumping out there, but for 5 days you should be OK.

I also plan on leaving Monday, hopefully someone will still have some firewood for Sunday evening. Oh, and did you hear it gets cold out there? :D

The problem is all 5 of us are flying out, so we're not going to have the luxury of bringing a bunch of coolers, storage bins, etc. We'll probably make a big grocery stop after picking up the RV and fill the thing up the best we can....I imagine there's going to be some vendors doing food & drinks during the race as well (?).

If I do have the XJ brought out then I can throw a bunch of coolers, food, soda, beer, firewood, etc in the trailer before I leave. That would be really convenient.

Some may beg to differ (& it may be my British side saying this) but at this time of the year it's usually cold enough to get by without a cooler, as long as you don't keep all your beer in the heated RV.
Course, this dictates that you bring 'good' beer.

The only vendors I've ever seen out there are the ice cream van & the fire wood guy, but it's possible with the race that there could be a few more enterprising locals.

It's only 30 minutes to the store, so don't get too caugth up in the details.

Paul

well KOH forum is down. I have planned on going out there for this for some time now. Hey Rich, how many are in the NAXJA camp for this? I know its going to be chaos out there in finding ANYTHING you want and everything you never seen. BUt if me and my buddy could pull up and kick it with at least one or two familier faces that would be great! I will be towing the XJ out just to get around and maybe a trail on fri night. But wont be there will either thurs evening or fri morning, and heading home sat. Sleeping in my EX and my buddy either in a tent or prolly in the bed of his tundra.

Back