• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick question: exhaust/intake manifold torque sequence

The book says 20 ft/lbs for the torque specs and start from the middle and alternate front/rear until you have them all torqued down. Recheck after two heatup and cool down cycles.

Winterbeater's question is completely in order.

For the '87, my books show 23 ft lbs for the 2.5 (gas) and a combination of 23 and 30 for the 4.0. This is not from the FSM so I can't swear they are correct.

Its a Jeep forum. 4.0's and 2.5's. 2.8's dont have a manifold/exhaust on the same side.

He asked torque sequence. Middle-out on almost any engine out there.

Are you suggesting that we give somebody who is asking a very basic question, a half-fast answer that applies (in your opinion) to "almost any engine out there"?

Did you miss the second part of the question asking for the torque values? Is your opinion also that they are the same for "almost any engine out there"?

:soapbox:

If 4.0 Renix

Intake & Exhaust Manifold Bolt 4.0L FtLbs (NM)
Exhaust Manifold Bolts 1-5 ...................23 (31)
Exhaust Manifold Bolts 6-7 .................. 17 (23)
Exhaust Manifold Bolts 8-11 ................. 23 (31)
Exhaust Manifold Bolts 12-13 ................ 30 (41)

EXHManifoldTorqueseq.jpg

Hmm #7 is missing in the pic. It's the stud at the rear.

I just tightened mine real tight going (in reference to the pic above) from top left to right down to the bottom ones and back to the left - gave me no problems OR leaks

Back