• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting more flex from my rear leaf springs?

oldmustangjunkie

NAXJA Forum User
What can I do to get more flex from my leaf springs? I have a 3" lift front and back (springs front, full length AAL in the back) and the front articulates great but the back is just so-so. I have all the sway bars disco'd, extended break lines, and longer shocks. Can I remove the leaf clamps and get more articulation that way? If I can, I'll just get some of those really tall clamps that let the spring spread out top to bottom but won't let them fan out side to side. If anyone has any fixes, let me know.
Thanks,
Bryan

If you get rid of the leaf clamps you take the chance of bending the leafs. We did it on a lift pack and bent the main leaf till it broke. What size shackles are you running

i have $5 on stock shackles.

get some nice boomerangs, and you can even try the shackle box kit offered on NAXJA to get the right angle out of them.

also, make sure the shackle bolts aren't over-tightened

I have the stock shackles and I assume that they are not over tightened since this Jeep was completely stock when I got it. Will boomerangs or the shackle box increase my lift? Also, are they compatible with my rear (factory) tow hitch?

As a rule of thumb, AALs do not flex very well. You've got one spring trying to lift the Jeep 3" over stock, so it has to be fairly stiff. Your best chance would be longer shackles. Oh, and just remove the rear swaybar, it's not needed once you have stiffer springs installed.

Can I remove the leaf clamps and get more articulation that way? If I can, I'll just get some of those really tall clamps that let the spring spread out top to bottom but won't let them fan out side to side.
Yes

If you get rid of the leaf clamps you take the chance of bending the leafs. We did it on a lift pack and bent the main leaf till it broke.
Something else must have caused your problem!

img1222medium0mj.jpg

63" chevy springs

50 bucks, on every 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton chevy 88-98, requires little welding, fixes your shackle angle, and comes with a free 4.5 inch of lift over stock.

http://www.yotatech.com/f88/63-chevy-spring-swap-86936/

got em front and rear on my betsy.

Thanks for all the replies.
I think for now, I'm just going to remove the clamps and put on a set of clamps that are fastened to the leaf spring and have about 1.5" of clearance above them for the leafs to spread out. Does anyone have a source for these or should I make my own? Also, will I lose any lift doing this?

Back