• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need to borrow or use a tube bender

HandBuiltXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I got my project together, now it is time ot bend my roll cage, but my buddy who had a tube bender, ended up being a pipe bender and that wont work for me. so does anyone in the so cal area have a tube bender that i can borrow or use. I will be using somewhere between 1.5" to 2" tube depending on what dies you all have for the bender. So close to being done with my project, so close.

john

frogmanjohn said:
I got my project together, now it is time ot bend my roll cage, but my buddy who had a tube bender, ended up being a pipe bender and that wont work for me. so does anyone in the so cal area have a tube bender that i can borrow or use. I will be using somewhere between 1.5" to 2" tube depending on what dies you all have for the bender. So close to being done with my project, so close.

john
I have one in Ventura, CA, I couldn't let you take it with you but you are welcome to come and bend all your tubing, I also have a notcher etc. The die I currently have is 1.75"x6"clr., works real good for the 1.75" x .120 DOM, there is also a tubing supplier about 2 blocks from my shop, the last price I paid for my 1.75"x.120" DOM was $4.50 /ft which is a pretty cheap price from what I can tell. Let me know

might be worth the drive, my buddy is actually down here in vista right now, and he is from ventura. If i can't find someone closer, i might have to take you up on that, do you know the price for there standard 1.75 x .120 ?

john

frogmanjohn said:
might be worth the drive, my buddy is actually down here in vista right now, and he is from ventura. If i can't find someone closer, i might have to take you up on that, do you know the price for there standard 1.75 x .120 ?

john
I don't, the seamless is the way to go for a cage though imo, I will check next time I am over there, it is called Ventura Steel if you want to check, they are closed weekends though:( Let me know if you can't find one closer.

Skullvarian said:
it is called Ventura Steel if you want to check,

You're not serious.

Bend over and get raped. They are worse than Gold Coast Steel.

--ron

man in san bernardino at patton steel its 7.37 a foot thats for 1 1/4 dom.120:flame: the best price ive found around here is 5.37 a foot

I have one. I'm in Borrego Springs and the bender is mounted to the floor.'
Your welcome to bring your project over it you want!
Rick R
Lets face it, I offer the use of my shop and nobody takes me up on it...
I wonder why :dunno:
Okay, maybe its the heat out here. Its nice and cool now. :D
Rick R

75 miles away that is getting closer, are you available on the weekends? Tube you also have a notcher and maybe a plasma for cutting the plate?

john

Jump This said:
I have one. I'm in Borrego Springs and the bender is mounted to the floor.'
Your welcome to bring your project over it you want!
Rick R
Lets face it, I offer the use of my shop and nobody takes me up on it...
I wonder why :dunno:
Okay, maybe its the heat out here. Its nice and cool now. :D
Rick R

I have plasma cutter, and I use a chop saw for notching.....okay..so I am a cheap scape and havn't kicked down for anything fancy for notching.
I havn't bent much tube yet, so maybe we can find a volunteer with some experience to help out...either that or bring about a 50% waste factor into the order of tube.:D I have 1 1/2 dies along with some smaller, havn't had any need for anthing larger yet.
Rick R
Let me know

I have a tubing notcher if you have a press. Maybe someone has a 1.75 or 2.0" die we could use if i come up there. Still hopeing there is someone closer, but the plasma cutter is pretty tempting.

john

I think you're fine with 1.5" tubing. If you're building an internal cage you want it as tight to the outside as you can get it. My cage is made out of 1.5", and I rolled pretty good last year. The cage held up very well. I think the design is as important, or more important, than the tube size.

did you build your own cage, or did you buy a prebent one?

john

Goatman said:
I think you're fine with 1.5" tubing. If you're building an internal cage you want it as tight to the outside as you can get it. My cage is made out of 1.5", and I rolled pretty good last year. The cage held up very well. I think the design is as important, or more important, than the tube size.

is your bender hydraulic? Are you any good at welding? and what are your plans for this coming weekend?
john

Jump This said:
I have plasma cutter, and I use a chop saw for notching.....okay..so I am a cheap scape and havn't kicked down for anything fancy for notching.
I havn't bent much tube yet, so maybe we can find a volunteer with some experience to help out...either that or bring about a 50% waste factor into the order of tube.:D I have 1 1/2 dies along with some smaller, havn't had any need for anthing larger yet.
Rick R
Let me know

frogmanjohn said:
did you build your own cage, or did you buy a prebent one?

john

Built my own.........a combination of internal and external. To me, if you're going to go through the trouble of building a cage it should include an external roof hoop, so the body is protected as well as the passengers.

Thank you very much rick. 50% waste factor was right on, HUH. Man, it was 105 degrees on the way home, though. I really do appreciate you letting me use your bender and tools man, that plasma cutter was pretty cool.

john

Jump This said:
Rick R
Let me know

We didn't have a camera in the garage during the build up.
John's design consisted of two main hoops from front to back.
He plans on B pilllar uprights and four (I think?) cross braces along the
roof line..from there he will add as nesc.
I was impressed with how accurate the bends turned out...well....all but the missmarked second attempt... :D So to be more accurate....33% waste factor!
Rick R

Back