• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep wont start

txredxj

NAXJA Forum User
so my jeep has been setting for a while and i got it running and was driving it around and went to start it again and nothing. checked my starter connections and the main power was loose so i tightened it up and still nothing. didnt have another person there to check my starter wire but it seems to draw power just no cranking. havent had a chance to get the starter off to check it out but i was wondering if i had another problem. battery is new and not an issue though my terminals are questionable.

thanks

One easy thing to try is to use jumper cables from another vehicle. And make sure that the battery cables and posts are shiny clean and tight. Ground also should be shiny and tight. Easy stuff first.

Like Winterbeater said and if that doesn't work, check your Crank Position Sensor and your Neutral Safety Switch. Both are common problems with the XJ. Start with the CPS and follow the cable on the back of the engine down to the top of the transmission. Take a long stick (I carried an axe handle in my XJ until I fixed mine) and move the cord a bit at the transmission end. If that's the problem, it is a fairly cheap part and an easy fix other than the tiny wrench turns due to a lack of space.

If that doesn't work, try the NSS. First try starting it in neutral. IF that doesn't work, put it back in park and force the shifter forward whaile turning the key. If that doesn't work, feather the shifter back and forth in park while turning the key. If that is the problem (which also went out on mine), you can simply pull the NSS and clean it out and re-install it.

Good luck!

Can you start it while jumping? I had a similar problem but could start it by jumping it with my other car, and did that multiple times. Ended up replacing the starter, and then I would finally get a crank, but still no start. So then I replaced the CPS, and it didn't start at first, so I had to have it jumped twice (I was going wheeling that day, and since it was always faithful to start when being jumped I figure it would be ok) and now it's fine. Never had a problem with it starting sence.

~Scott

battery is new and not an issue though my terminals are questionable.

I think you know where you need to start. Connections first; always. Remove battery cables, clean them and the posts thoroughly until shiny. Resistive connections are a common problem.

If that doesn't do the trick, load testing battery or replacing battery temporarily with a known good one isn't a bad idea. New batteries CAN fail; called "infant mortality". Don't want to be chasing your tail....you have to ensure your electrical system is up to snuff.

Hallo. I think , you have to start by the beginning,like birchlakeXJ says.(haha and Winterbeater)
First the startermotor. Check all the battery cables and clean them.Also the groundwires to the chassis.
Then use jumping wires for the starterrelay pin #30 and #87. When your battery is ok, startmotor will start! Otherwise the trouble for starting is in the fuses,ignitionswitch,starterrelay or NSS.
Also let the startmotor spinning by bridging the big contacts on the startersolenoid. Use a big screwdriver for the big current.
If the starter runs, you can check the relays. (ASDR,FPR). ASDR, if broken ,it will kill fueldelivery and spark.
We hear from you...:looney:

Last edited:
Back