• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Steering Box Upgrade?

AGR

Search for Durango steering Box mod, or you can get braces from TNT with 4 holes to put a YJ box in.

yeah, search 99 durango v8 snow plow 4x4.....along those lines. I got a re-maned durango one that fit right in with minimal mod and took my stock one and turned it back in to autozone for the core charge and they didn't even check and it works great. They are very similar just slightly different piston size and turning radius. I have 32's now and I can turn with one finger in mud, sand, etc. I also noticed a tighter response, not drastic but noticeable.

AGR

Search for Durango steering Box mod, or you can get braces from TNT with 4 holes to put a YJ box in.

I know the YJ boxes are geared lower, how about the Durango boxes?

Does anyone make an upgraded steering box for the XJ/TJ?

After installing two rebuilt boxes that were almost as bad as the original worn out box, I installed a PSC box and pump.
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/sg621m-tj-xj-yj-xtreme-duty-steering-gear-p-88.html
Now I can steer 33"s around rocks with two fingers.

Like the Durango box, it's has a bigger cylinder and required a little extra spacing between it and the spacer. With a C-ROK steering plate, it required an additional washer between the box and plate.

What was wrong with ya'lls steering boxes? The gears in mine seem fine, but the output shaft is cantilevered and moves around more than I think it should. Anyone ever notice that with their steering box. (sorry to revive a stagnant post...)

How tough to swap a box, can you do it all from underneath?

What was wrong with ya'lls steering boxes? The gears in mine seem fine, but the output shaft is cantilevered and moves around more than I think it should. Anyone ever notice that with their steering box. (sorry to revive a stagnant post...)

How tough to swap a box, can you do it all from underneath?

I had numerous problems with wear on the sector shaft bushings and excessive movement. Also resulting in oil leaking from the sector shaft seal.
Even after going to a PSC extreme duty box, i still had problems after about 12 months. I know im reasonably hard on my stuff, wheeling mainly big rocks. I finally decided to give my box a helping hand and fitted a PSC high pressure pump and hydro assist ram.
The difference is totally amazing, not sure how i wheeled for so long with out it.

And swapping the box is super simple. yes it pulls out from underneath.

I run a psc box, pump, res and pulley.
Great product, good customer service and no core charge.

Guys, do you that any of that lateral movement contributed to any vibes or wobbles while driving? I'm trying to run down some vibes (baby DW). I've got good Ball joints, hubs, upper/lower arm bushings, trackbar (good heims both ends), tire balance, alignment and TRES. The only thing is there seems to be a little be more lateral movement in the cantilevered shaft than I would expect.

I've been under it and had someone move the steering wheel and walked down every joint with weight on and off the front axle and nothing stood out except the hubs, but I've replaced those. Then I thought it was the damn swampers so I stepped it up to these price of gold Krawlers (which I think still have a little balance issue) and I'm still chasing this problem. I've chased DW before; once it was the trackbar, another time it was LCA bushings. Several times it was the swamper balance totally out of whack, not sure this time.

Matt, how's Kyung and Rick? I guess we'll be seeing Santa at the end of the week here.

Back