• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

waggy dana 44

Monster XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was told from a friend that he knows of an 85 jeep grand wagoneer with matching dana 44s and a v8 in a junk yard on lean sale for $500.. I read the dana 44 sticky and it says that 84 is the last good year of the matching 44s i was just wondering why

There isn't a solid one piece shaft on the passenger side of the axle. More parts to maintain, not as strong, and more things to break.

that sticky is flawed

waggy axles from 80-92 are good to go minus vacuum disco versions (commonly 84-85)

im not certain, but i dont think is a vac disco axleshaft, but i have rear about a vac disco center section. no idea how it works.

Pasted from ifsja.org

D-44 1962-88 All J-Trucks, 1974-92 Wagoneer/Cherokee/Grand Wagoneer
D-44 w/vacuum 1983-84 All except J-20 With Type 1 NP 229 or NP 228 transfer case disconnect

edit: that's kind of hard to read but only the 83-84 waggys had the disco front axle

I was told from a friend that he knows of an 85 jeep grand wagoneer with matching dana 44s and a v8 in a junk yard on lean sale for $500.. I read the dana 44 sticky and it says that 84 is the last good year of the matching 44s i was just wondering why

Get photos, post them here, and we will tell you if it is a go or no go. Make sure we can see the whole housing.

My friends running a vac disco waggy 44 w/ a 1 piece axle in it, and its been a pain. Its broken twice, and is constantly leaking, because the seal isnt right.

My friends running a vac disco waggy 44 w/ a 1 piece axle in it, and its been a pain. Its broken twice, and is constantly leaking, because the seal isnt right.

Pasted from ifsja.org

edit: that's kind of hard to read but only the 83-84 waggys had the disco front axle

that is the correct info ^^

I have an 87 in mine, nondisco. That 85 should be nondisco too, unless it was early production or got a leftover housing. The disconnect is on the drrivers side, right on the pumpkin, hard to miss.

Back