• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Site Suggestions

SurveyRig

NAXJA Forum User
Hello fellow jeepsters. I'm an avid reader of this site, but haven't posted much, because my jeep is stock and I haven't been able to afford to upgrade. I'm ready to start pricing for the first phase of the project, but I don't know exactly where to find the good deals. My XJ is a '91, 4x4, I6, Auto, Laredo package, bone stock (except the stereo, it was a must) and I picked up an '87 with the tow package to grab the D44 out of. The '87 has a lift, but looks pretty shotty, so I think I'll look into getting a new one. It has some nice flared fenders too that I will strip and repaint. Other than that It's my pick a part when needed.
My question to you folks is do you have a recommendation for a few good sites to price lockers, gears, lifts, etc...?
I'd like to run 35" tires, so how big of a lift would I need to get? In reading (and according to my ex wife :sad1:) 4-5 inches isn't enough. I'd prefer a RE lift, but I am open to suggestions of a similar, but cheaper lift. I'd also like to run 4:88 front and rear and have a decent locker. All that said, it would be nice to have the best, but times are tough, so cost is a factor, but not compared to durability and dependability. Fancy is not an option.
It's going to be a long adventure, but I look forward to it. Thanks in advance for any help

Dave

All that said, it would be nice to have the best, but times are tough, so cost is a factor, but not compared to durability and dependability.

All I can say is it's better not to do something now and do it later then compromise. If you compromise you'll do it twice and it'll cost you three times as much ;)

There are deals to be had: watch for folks upgrading and moving up in their builds. Checkout various sponsors for prices on equipment and parts. I get most of my stuff from Dan @ http://www.loose-nuts-enterprises.com/ He is a sponsor and he knows his stuff. I know there are quite a few folks that have their own favourites when it comes to getting parts and accessories.

Also http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/index.php has good prices sometimes. Anyways, keep your eyes and ears peeled open and attack your build one item at a time ;)

honestly i had a blast on a 3.5 RE and 31s.

it looked good, drove well, was manageable daily.

i retained stock steering, no slip yoke elim, no need for gear swaps, it was a great rig to drive every day.

yes...i got the inchitis and wanted to go up, but a good part of the RE stuff is if you start with a 3.5...its always expandable to 4.5

plus dan at loose nuts has ridiculously good prices on it and i wouldnt hesititate to buy from him...

You forgot alloy shafts at $650 for the front and $300 for the rear, too.

Yes, I could go on and on. My only advise is if you think you want 35s do it right and dont settle for less. I already wish I had gone 37s. I am just a new set a tires and alloy shafts away from that wish. I'm lucky that my axles are 32 spline already so I should be able to run the stock shafts for a while, but it will be a weak link.

yeah. but lets subtract the D44 up front... would be nice.. but not really needed ;)

Anyways, a plan to go to 35's could be executed as follows:
3.5" lift from RE with full lift packs. and put on 31's on cheap steelies. Then put on SYE as needed (plan for it but hope not to have to do it immediately). Then upgrade gears and lockers (you can drive and wheel with 4.88's and 31's...I've done it, it was a blast) then add wheels and tires to go to 35's. Then plan to upgrade shafts (that is pretty much almost a must though folks that don't have lead feet have been known to wheel with stock 297/760 ujointed shafts up front).

Anyways, best suggestion I can give right now is to figure out what you want your jeep to do. Maybe not look at the height (35's) but rather what trails you want to run, what obstacles you want to tackle and then see what works for folks that do that. Then use that as a basis for your build.

I'd like to run 35" tires, so how big of a lift would I need to get? In reading (and according to my ex wife :sad1:) 4-5 inches isn't enough.

It's enough if you trim.

I'm on RE 4.5 + 1 inch coil spacers (probably just about 5 inch total).

Trimmed fenders and bump stops and it works fine.

yea...doing it all at once would be really freaking expensive...i would suggest steps...3.5 and 31s is a great first step...

I went with 4.5 (+SYE) and 32s on stock axles and steering for a year. It wasn't ideal, but it worked. (Made it up Bronco that way once.. :D)

Then stepped up to 35s with axles (geared/locked) and steering, last summer.

Obviousely there are many options and opinions. What are you going to ultemately do with your rig ? Rock crawl, trail crawl, mawl crawl ? I it a daily driver, are you going to drive it to the trail or trailer it. Do you want it to look good to pick up the hot chicks (somehow remi got that down).

Answer these questions and watch the opinions flow.

Personally on my 2 rigs are the following

1, 6" RE/rustys, D30 4:56 with a TT up front and a D35 4:56 with detroit and alloys in the rear. Confer rack high lift Hunsaker seats and rockhard cage. Reancho 9k on all 4 with super swampers.

2, 5.5" RE, D30 open up front and 8.25 open 29 spline in the back and everything else is stock.

1 is my trail rig 2 is my mawl crawler.

Good luck and ask away

Yeah, I thought about doing steps, but I figured it would be more expensive having to upgrade ie: buying a 3.5" lift and 31" tires, getting it built up then deciding I want more and shelling out more dough for a 6" lift and 35's. Why buy two sets?
My buddies are all on 35's or bigger so I want to be able to hang with them and I don't think 31's will cut it. 33's maybe, but I don't want to be the guy who holds anyone up.
My intent is to buy 1 or two items at a time as my budget allows then install all at once. I'd start with 1. the lift, then 2. wheels 3. gears and locker, 4. steering, shafts and SYE. I figure on spending 2k each step so 8k total and I think 6 months time is reasonable enough for me to save that as long as nothing comes up. Then slap it all in. After that it will be cosmetics like, Bumpers, winch, sliders, roof rack and the many other endless upgrades.
This is something I will have to think about, maybe I'm in over my head and my visions are only pipe dreams. I appreciate all the feedback and insight. I will consider all your suggestions.
When I said "it would be nice to have the best, but times are tough, so cost is a factor, but not compared to durability and dependability. Fancy is not an option." all I meant by that is I don't need the top of the line with all the added frills, I just want the most dependable. If that happens to be the most expensive than so be it. I guess when it comes to wheelin' if it is top of the line it is because it's the most dependable.
So any links to your favorite sites for parts is much appreciated
and thank you all again for your help..

Dave

I don't want to be the guy who holds anyone up.

After that it will be cosmetics like, Bumpers, winch, sliders, roof rack and the many other endless upgrades.

I would put recovery points (bumpers??) in your 1st phase then.

Last edited:
It's enough if you trim.

I'm on RE 4.5 + 1 inch coil spacers (probably just about 5 inch total).

Trimmed fenders and bump stops and it works fine.

x2. 5" of lift for 35's is enough if you trim enough sheet metal off.

But there's more to 35's then just the lift and a rear axle. It took me a while to get up to 35's. If you need to save up for a lift, just think about the cost of upgrading front shafts, upgrade steering, bracing the steering box, regearing both axles. The list goes on and on. That is if you want to do it right, and plan on seeing some harder wheeling with it.

If you know what you want, you will never be content if you don't do it that way to begin with. My first rig was a TJ wrangler and I did the slow approach. I kept improving and swapping out old lifts and mod's for bigger and better. That cost WAY more than if I would have just done it the way I wanted from the beginning. My second rig was my XJ. This time I bought it with the exact components I felt were a must. 35" tires, sye, cv drive shafts, 6.5" long arm kit, dana 44's, lockers, 4.88 gears and chromoly axle shafts front and rear. This is definately a very expensive path, which is why I let someone else take the brunt of the cost and I picked it up with all that stuff included. Thanks Chris(a.k.a. Skullvarian). If you really want to go big with your rig, you may want to consider my approach. Sale the two rigs you have and buy one already built the way you want. With the economy the way it is, you will probably be able to find a great deal as long as you are willing to drive a good distance. The downside is that you do not get to enjoy the time building it on your own in the garage, but when you are on a budget, you have to settle for doing things the none ideal way. By the way, this is my daily driver and it does great on and off the road.

LIke folks have said, figure out what you want to do with your rig - rocks, desert, crawl, go-fast, daily drive...etc.

I think an RE 4.5" lift and 33's are great! I started with 3" & 31's but it did not last long.

If you are new to XJ's, I recommend getting some armor, meeting some folks, and wheeling it.

Then grow it.

When you get to 33's or bigger you will want and need to re-gear, lock, etc... then the money really adds up.

Good luck!

If you know what you want, you will never be content if you don't do it that way to begin with. My first rig was a TJ wrangler and I did the slow approach. I kept improving and swapping out old lifts and mod's for bigger and better. That cost WAY more than if I would have just done it the way I wanted from the beginning. My second rig was my XJ. This time I bought it with the exact components I felt were a must. 35" tires, sye, cv drive shafts, 6.5" long arm kit, dana 44's, lockers, 4.88 gears and chromoly axle shafts front and rear. This is definately a very expensive path, which is why I let someone else take the brunt of the cost and I picked it up with all that stuff included. Thanks Chris(a.k.a. Skullvarian). If you really want to go big with your rig, you may want to consider my approach. Sale the two rigs you have and buy one already built the way you want. With the economy the way it is, you will probably be able to find a great deal as long as you are willing to drive a good distance. The downside is that you do not get to enjoy the time building it on your own in the garage, but when you are on a budget, you have to settle for doing things the none ideal way. By the way, this is my daily driver and it does great on and off the road.

Good point.

I would gladly sell mine for the $8,000 he mentioned he plans to spend. :D

Im all for 35s but you'll be fine with 33s. Also what I did for the rear at least is make your own leaf pack... its not gonna be "the best" but it does flex pretty good and at 40-60 bucks in parts and a couple hrs in labor you cant go wrong... Times are tough... start buying parts slowly then have a lift party when you have all ur goodies together and we'd be more than happy to go out and give you a hand.

Back