• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some ideas or suggestions on what i think is an exhaust leak...

milehigh

NAXJA Forum User
my 2000 xj recently developed a nasty ticking noise on startup. its there as soon as you start it up and remains there until it gets up around 180 degrees. i thought it was a leaky gasket, i just got done replacing the intake/exhaust gasket and what do you know its still there.

i did notice when i took it apart that alot of the bolts didnt seem too tight(as in 25ftlbs tight) so i figured that the gasket was surely the problem. i checked the manifolds for cracks using the home method( hold it loosely in one hand and give it a tap on the floor, if it rings and vibs in the hand then good to go) i inspected it very closely and couldnt see any signs of cracks. im starting to wish i would have taken the extra couple of days to take it to a machine shop to know for sure.

there is no gasket where the manifolds meet up with the exhaust pipe/cats. i checked those surfaces too and it didnt apear that there was any leaks there. looked down in the cats and they seem fine. oil press is good, it runs good, the ticking noise varies with engine speed. i did a compression check, everything normal. no coolant in oil or vice versa. i thought of maybe a collapsed lifter or a failing lifter, but it runs and idles smooth like it should. also the noise is hard to isolate, seems to come from all over. but when laying under it it seems to be coming from the area of the exhaust/cats. hard to tell for sure though.

the only thing that i can think of is that the one of the manifolds has a crack i didnt see or that it is warped. other possiblity is that the housing for the cats maybe cracked, but witht the sheilds on them i cant tell. whats your guys thoughts?? anything else i can check or test before i tear it back apart??? thanks in advance.

You may have a lifter or rocker arm going bad....what weight oil are you running? maybe try something a little thicker, like a 20W-40 or 20W-50 and see if that helps it any.

Dane

If it ticks at start-up and goes away when warm, the fix would be thinner oil, wouldn't it. The oil needs to feed through better when cold.

Are you sure you aren't just hearing your cannister purge valve? -- See thread "What is this?" But that doesn't stop when it warms up.

That's right my bad.....you could also try running that Marvel Mystery Oil through it an see if that helps it.. Mine has a tapping noise from the exhaust but it never goes away that's what's make me think that you have the lifter problem.

Dane

well hows this for weird went and started it this morning for shits and giggles and what do ya know its gone. only thing i can think is it needed a heat cylce to get everything to seat or allow those swivle washers to settle. i am familar with the evap solenoid, i found that one last winter. this noise was alot louder. all i know is im glad its gone, was getting real pod at this thing. that intake and exhaust manifold design is horrible.

Back