• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TRE thread engagement to tie rod

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
In an ideal world, how much thread should be sticking out on a "1 ton" TRE when attached to a tierod?

I would think as little as possible to keep them from bending, but how much adjustment is needed?

030.jpg

Im thinking 1'' of thread sticking out of the tie rod is good enough.

Anyone have any thoughts?

The only amount that needs to be in the tie rod is the diameter of the stock.
That would only be about 1'' into the tube. Since the TRE shank would be the weakest part, I would like to limit the amount of shank showing.

Tap the tube deep enough and screw it in all the way.

I would do that, but I would think I would need some adjust ability.

Assuming I get the wheels aligned strait, and give myself an inch of adjustment on each side, that should be plenty, right? I usually do 1/8'' of toe in, and an inch should give me more then enough to fine tune it.

If I ever do smash my tierod into a rock, it would only make the ends closer together, so I would have almost 3'' of each TRE to extend to get me off the trail. There is no way it could extend that I can think of offhand.

Assuming I get the wheels aligned strait, and give myself an inch of adjustment on each side, that should be plenty, right? I usually do 1/8'' of toe in, and an inch should give me more then enough to fine tune it.

If I ever do smash my tierod into a rock, it would only make the ends closer together, so I would have almost 3'' of each TRE to extend to get me off the trail. There is no way it could extend that I can think of offhand.

Yep.

I can't remember how much I have showing on both sides of the tie rod, but I know it was pretty snug, with enough for toe in/out adjustment, I'd have to look under the jeep after work.

What I was refering to was the diameter is the minimium you need to be threaded in to have strength of the connection. I'm all for more myself, that being said I usually try and leave 1/2-3/4" showing on mine on both ends for the adjustability. Sorry if my original statement was confusing, it sounded that way after I wrote it but I didn't edit it. Even with the limited amount of shank showing the end of the connection of the two pieces of material iregardless of where it sits is always the weakest point.

Back