• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaky injector? Pics

duke000088

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I have noticed this dark oily stain on my intake manifold for a long long time. Is this type of staining indicative of a leaky fuel injector? It is right under one of the injectors along the fuel rail. Plain old valve cover seepage?
1999 XJ 4.0 w/ 126K... Many thanks...
2ndAnnCard039.jpg

2ndAnnCard041.jpg

It does look like a leaking injector. clean everything well and watch it closely and see if you can tell where it is coming from.

Rub your finger on it and smell it.. if it smells like gas then it's the rail, if it's oil, it's the valve cover.

If it were a leaking injector, you would smell gas while in the vehicle; there would be no doubt that gas was leaking "somewhere".

Check the valve cover bolts. I developed a BAD valve cover leak, but before going out and buying a gasket I checked the bolts and they were all less than finger tight. I tightened them up and the leak has stopped/slowed.. still need to wash the engine off and watch it, but there it's no longer marking it's territory. I will eventually replace the VC gasket but so far this has stopped the major leaking problem.

If no gas smell.. Wash it and check frequently.

Looks like just a small oil leak.

Good Luck
Nick

Back