• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PVC/ ABS snorkle....anyone concerned about the 175 degree F melting point of PVC

No concern....If the air running through it doesn't cool it down, nothing will. Might be a slight heat soak issue when you shut it off, but I doubt it unless its right on top of your turbo :D

No concern....If the air running through it doesn't cool it down, nothing will. Might be a slight heat soak issue when you shut it off, but I doubt it unless its right on top of your turbo :D
Thanks. I was thinking...just for insurance to wrap the PVC/ ABS section under the hood with insulation, or use another material under the hood and then transfer into PVC/ ABS (90* elbow) as it goes through the body.

Thanks. I was thinking...just for insurance to wrap the PVC/ ABS section under the hood with insulation, or use another material under the hood and then transfer into PVC/ ABS (90* elbow) as it goes through the body.

since you are thinking of doing PVC or ABS DWV pipe, you could stay in the same class of pipe and do cast iron DWV pipe under the hood. the stainless no hub bands would look pimpin yo! :D

I used a piece to run from the airbox to the intake and smooth out the flow, after a bit of time the clamps holding it together would deform the plastic from the tension around the outside.

Yes, use ABS. PVC will also get brittle as mentioned above. When I was young we had this big potato gun. The first one was made from pvc and eventually shattered. The ABS version never broke.

It's only the portion underhood that has a problem. And all that nice cold air helps by picking up the heat - not what you get a snorkle for, tho.

Insulation is one answer, using only metal piping under the hood another. Both is better.

theres an additional drawback to ABS plastic, after poor temp resistance, and toxic offgassing.
ABS has very low oil resistance. It softens in the presence of hydrocarbons. PS fluid, motor oil and ATF will eat it.

PVC resists oil fairly well, but doesnt belong under the hood.
It also resists sunlight fairly well because it has UV inhibitors added.

Last edited:
I've been running an abs snorkel on my daily driver for more than 6 months and haven't had a problem. I know thats not the longest amount of time but I drive quite a bit and I ran the abs under the hood and into the back of the the stock airbox and haven't had any issues with it at all.

Back