• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which axle is this.

anewlife84

NAXJA Forum User
i couldnt place my axle so here is a pic of it. the diameter looks to be about three inches and the circumference is 9.75 on the axle tube.
axle.jpg

Probobly a 27 spline then (95). I think you can upgrade it to 29spline with 29 spline axles and a new carrier (29 spline chrysler 8.25 approaches the dana 44 in strength).

The goofy rubber plug is also a giveaway - Dana covers tend to come with drilled/tapped holes, and they use a 1/2" NPT pipe plug.

I'm not sure if the ChryCo cover can be easily converted - but it's worth looking into. Those rubber plugs want replacing at intervals, as they get harder over time and exposure to road crud and gear oil...

If you can't replace it with a pipe plug, you may want to stock up on those plugs as spares. Keep them in a Ziploc bag somewhere dark - UV light tends to deteriorate rubber as well...

5-90

langer1 said:
Its either a Model 35 or 44 a 1990 was built by AMC.

Half marks. ChryCo bought out AMC, as I recall, in mid- to late-1988 - but they continued to build to AMC specs until the beginning of the 1991MY (When the HO came around, the #7120 head was released, and the ChryCo electronics were added.) I'm inclined to think the actualy buyout was 8/88, but I'd have to look it up to make sure...

The D44 was around in limited quantities in 1987 and 1988, but I'm not altogether sure about later.

5-90

Mambeu said:
The date of the Chrysler buyout of AMC was August 5th, 1987.

(I only know that offhand since it happened two days after I was born).

I'm sure thats true but they carried the AMC badge and logos until 1991.

langer1 said:
I'm sure thats true but they carried the AMC badge and logos until 1991.
Not only that, but my '88 XJ was ordered late in 1987 and delivered the last week of January 1988. ALL paperwork says AMC/Jeep, and the warranty was the AMC 1 year/12,000 miles warranty, not the Chryco 5/50k.

There may have been a handshake in August of 1987, but the vehicles didn't start coming with Chryco documentation and the signs on the dealerships didn't change until approximately March of 1988, so as far as I'm concerned, that's when the sale was finalized.

Eh. Either way, I was off...

I honestly think that AMC should have held on - I think it would have been interesting to see what they would have come up with after the MJ. Seems to me they were starting to turn around after the XJ and MJ came out (althought I may be wrong there as well...) and hanging on to Jeep might have saved AMC.

Either way, I think that keeping Jeep might have saved AMC, and they had some pretty damn good ideas. As an automaker, I think they were rather underrated - and they were also rather independent (which would have made for interesting challenges for the "Big Three" 'makers, otherwise.)

I'm really not happy with what DCX has been doing to Jeep - the Jeep marque may have been able to recover from Chrysler, but I don't think it's going to recover from Dr. Z - with his IFS, I4 "Compass" with FWD. Damn thing seems to be the bastard child of a Liberty and a Voyager...

5-90

5-90 said:
The goofy rubber plug is also a giveaway - Dana covers tend to come with drilled/tapped holes, and they use a 1/2" NPT pipe plug.
5-90

The later D35s have the rubber butt plug. My 95 YJ had a rubber plug and the wifes 93 ZJ has a rubber plug. I was going to swap a cover with the pipe plug onto the ZJ, but the hole on the ZJs c-clip axle cover was high up.

lawsoncl said:
The later D35s have the rubber butt plug. My 95 YJ had a rubber plug and the wifes 93 ZJ has a rubber plug. I was going to swap a cover with the pipe plug onto the ZJ, but the hole on the ZJs c-clip axle cover was high up.

This illustrated why accounting and engineering are incompatible disciplines...

"Rubber butt plug" - I like that.

I don't supposed you noted whether or not the hole was threaded anyhow, did you? Just wondering...

5-90

Back