• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242HD Transfercase?

bigalpha

I saw a reference on another board about the Hummer using the 242HD transfercase; and that you can rebuild the 242 using the 242HD.

Any truth to this?

Truth is you can not use the internals in your XJ 242. The 242 AMG is a beast, but is full time 4wd, no 2wd option. So you use your Jeep 242 parts and some small modifications to make it a 2wd capable case. PM MJR, and he can tell you all about it.

Truth is you can not use the internals in your XJ 242. The 242 AMG is a beast, but is full time 4wd, no 2wd option. So you use your Jeep 242 parts and some small modifications to make it a 2wd capable case. PM MJR, and he can tell you all about it.

Thanks for the info. I don't plan on doing this, I was just curious if there was truth to using a Hummer 242 to make a stronger XJ 242.

The H1 and military hummer used the 242-AMG. It has a larger output shaft and chain/sprocket, more planetary gears, oil cooler plumbing, and does not have 2WD (eliminates a weakness in the forking).

Some of the Dodge trucks used a 242-HD, which is basically in between the 242-J and the 242-AMG, with a larger shaft and chain/sprocket, but not much else.

You can install either the 242-AMG or 242-HD into your jeep if you want to do the fab work needed to make it all work right. However due to the shaft setup, neither the 242-AMG or 242-HD can take an SYE of any kind--this is not a big deal for Hummers and trucks that have a large wheelbase but it's a bit of a problem for lifted XJs.

You can install the 242-HD chain and sprocket into your 242-J, and that will beef it up some.

You can install either the 242-AMG or 242-HD into your jeep if you want to do the fab work needed to make it all work right. However due to the shaft setup, neither the 242-AMG or 242-HD can take an SYE of any kind--this is not a big deal for Hummers and trucks that have a large wheelbase but it's a bit of a problem for lifted XJs.
False.

I just put a mini write up together about a HD SYE for the 242.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74313&page=10

You can install the 242-HD chain and sprocket into your 242-J, and that will beef it up some.

False.

If you put the wider chain/sprockets in the 242J it will interfere with the oil pickup. The rear half of the case on the 242HD has a recess for the oil pickup tube, and the tube is bent differently.

I just put a mini write up together about a HD SYE for the 242.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74313&page=10
oh didn't see that, congrats on being the first

If you put the wider chain/sprockets in the 242J it will interfere with the oil pickup. The rear half of the case on the 242HD has a recess for the oil pickup tube, and the tube is bent differently.
I've never heard that, and I've seen multiple offers to put the larger chain and sprocket on the stocker

Hear ar couple pic's showing the recess I'm talking about. The Jeep version has a similar recess, but its not as deep.

Dodge 242D
clipboard01sd5.jpg

Hummer 242AMG
clipboard02mn3.jpg

Back