• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

grand cherokee alternator?

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
i seen a couple posts about using a higher amp alternator out of a grand cherokee. just curiouse which years of grand cherokee will fit? does it require any modificationsto fit? what are the benefits of doing this?

you'll have to grind the mounting bracket slightly. I believe it's 97-99 Grand Cherokees that will fit, not sure on that, though. I bought a 120 Amp alternator, rebuilt, off ebay for $70 shipped that is a direct fit for the cherokee (it was actually an option for certain years as an upgrage to the stock 90 A alternator).

The benefits are that if you are running lights, A/C, winch, etc. anything that draws a good amount of amperage, a higher amperage alternator will be able to supply more, typically at lower rpm's as well. The stock alternator is fine even with off-road lights. I ran it until it died from the mud/water. I replaced it with the 120 A. Haven't noticed too much of a difference, but the interior lights don't dim anymore when the A/C and lights are switched on.

this flier lists all of the vehicles that the 136-amp alternator was used in

vdn11361204.jpg

Back