• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding when stopping

srkruger

NAXJA Forum User
Last week I had to make an abrupt stop and the cone on the transfer case broke sending the drivesft flying. I replace the cone, driveshaft and u joints and though everything was fine. Now when I slam on the brakes hard I hear this grinding/ smacking sound coming from around the transfer case. It only happens if I slam on the brakes. If I slowly hit the breaks nothing happens. Does this sound like a transfer case problem? I dont hear any noices while accelerating.

No, it drives fine, It only makes noises when stopping. I am thinking that I might of bent the yoke when the cone broke, but wouldnt it be making the noises when I was accerating too?

My opinion is that you broke a spring and on hard braking you are getting axle wrap. The noise you are hearing is the Ujoint maxing out. This is what probably originally caused the failure. Have somebody follow you as you hit the brakes and watch the springs and the attitude of the rear axle.

Back